• Switching TO Xp FROM Vista is concidered an UPGRADE

5 21.74%
  • Switching TO Xp FROM Vista is concidered a DOWNGRADE

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade/Downgrade Survey

Beans

Question Upgrade/Downgrade Survey

Hi linuxers and macers and unixers and windowsers.
    I'm doing a short, unscientific survey to see what people think about this specific subject.

The specifics about this survey is about xp and vista only, and there's no hidden "and's" in the question.

Objective and subjective discussions are done in this thread, but please state which of them it's supposed to be (for statistical purposes)

Beans

Re: Upgrade/Downgrade Survey

--Subjective--
    Xp is a lot more stable than longhorn. In comparison with my experience of Xp when it came out, Xp was unstable for a couple of weeks, afterwhich I rarely got any bsod's.
    After more than a year of Longhorns release, I still HAVE to use linux to develop in OpenGL. The Pc crashes otherwise. It's happened ON ALL PC'S WITH VI$TA RUNNING UP UNTIL NOW (that I've tried including today). No exceptions as of yet. And not with the stopping and restarting of the display driver thing that's Need4Speed and Trackmania Nations. No, I'm talking about the frigging Vi$ta BSOD.
    Last edited by animefan82; May 30th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Beans

I chose: Switching FROM Xp TO Vista is concidered an UPGRADE

Why? Because I consider getting newer and more expensive hardware an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

aren't the second and third choices of the poll redundant? there should've been only the first two options
    I voted 1 anyway, I happen to like Vista just a little more than XP
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

Switching from XP to Vista is an upgrade. It's much more stable than XP on my machine and it supports much more than XP x64 ever did. I've also found it to be more stable than XP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karellen View Post
    aren't the second and third choices of the poll redundant? there should've been only the first two options
    I voted 1 anyway, I happen to like Vista just a little more than XP
    A very good question. And no. They may seem to be the same thing, but are, in fact, different opinions.
    My technical opinion is still that you upgrade from xp to vista, as vista has new features and increased security from being tampered with from the idiots who bought it. (No, not idiots for having bought a computer with vista, but for running fdisk does without knowing what it actually does. Idiots. I was one of them, so I'm allowed to say it. :-p )
    In my case, Vi$ta is extremely unstable. I develop in Java and OpenGL. Opening NetBeans takes three infinities (Xp took only 1 infinity to load Netbeans). Then there's OpenGL. Every single time, on every single computer (with vista) I've tried it on I've gotten a BSOD, causing vista to take another 2 infities to restart. Graphics card problems? The computers/laptops I tried the code on were ATI, nVidia and Intel (Integrated). I also tried with different drivers.
    I call this unstable, although it CAN be considered stable when adding the fact that it happens EVERY TIME. Gaming too. But then Vi$ta is extremely unstable. You just never know how long it'll take until the graphics driver will die on you.

Other than that, I guess Vista's good for some things, thus an upgrade.
    In my opinion, because I develop, I can't use Vista for developing. Thus I would have to UPGRADE to XP, giving me a new feature that Vista didn't have. The ability to develop.

NOTE: I haven't run VisualStudio or similar IDE's for developing C/C#/C++ on my computer, but I've seen the difference.

Beans

Switching from XP to Vista is an upgrade.
    Switching from Vista to XP is an improvement.

Beans

I didn't like vista until I diabled UAC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

When I ran vista on my laptop I actually considered it a huge upgrade to XP. I liked it more than linux really, but my uncle let me borrow the disk, but I put linux back on my computer once I moved back into my new house, and I'm not looking forward to paying for another OS when I can use linux although vista was VERY nice. First windows OS I've actually liked.
    fedora core 9
    XBL Gamertag: MDK BlOOdHuNTeR

I'm one of them things they call a right wing conservative gun nut. Nice to meet you.
    PSN: whitefang5412

Beans

I don't recommend people upgrade from XP to Vista but if your buying a new pc that comes with WIndows might as well get one that runs Vista as long as it has adequate hardware to run it properly. At least a dual core cpu and two gigs of ram and a vista aero capable graphics system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast