Thread: I killed my compiz..

Beans

I killed my compiz..

I recently tried to install via the Add/Remove list "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm)".

When the installation completed I tried to open up the program. The program refused to open after several tries and I decided to give up and uninstall the program.

Upon uninstalling, the desktop effects would not work, and several of my keyboard shortcuts would not work.

I could use some help.
    Rather than reinstalling, I am clueless what to do.

NOTE: I am running 7.10

Beans

Re: I killed my compiz..

The best place to start is to install ccsm again, then try starting it from the terminal (just type ccsm and hit return). Watch for error messages and post back!

64-Bit Ubuntu! Join the future of computing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cubeist View Post
    The best place to start is to install ccsm again, then try starting it from the terminal (just type ccsm and hit return). Watch for error messages and post back!
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/ccsm", line 45, in <module>
        idle = ccm.IdleSettingsParser(context)
      File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/Utils.py", line 229, in __init__
      File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/Utils.py", line 228, in <lambda>
      File "usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/Utils.py", line 225, in FilterPlugin
    AttributeError: 'compizconfig.Plugin' object has no attribute 'Initialized'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post the output of
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep compiz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Forlong View Post
    Post the output of
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep compiz
    Code:
    ii  compiz                                     1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1       OpenGL window and compositing manager
    ii  compiz-core                                1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1       OpenGL window and compositing manager
    ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-extra                0.5.2+git20070928-0ubuntu1           Collection of extra plugins from OpenComposi
    ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-main                 0.5.2+git20070928-0ubuntu2           Collection of plugins from OpenCompositing f
    ii  compiz-gnome                               1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1       OpenGL window and compositing manager - GNOM
    ii  compiz-plugins                             1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1       OpenGL window and compositing manager - plug
    ii  compizconfig-settings-manager              0.6.99~git20071005+3v1ubuntu0        Plugin and configuration tool - Compiz Fusio
    ii  libcompizconfig-backend-gconf              0.6.0~git20071003+3v1ubuntu0         GNOME Backend for the Compiz Configuration S
    ii  libcompizconfig0                           0.5.2+git20070919-0ubuntu3           Settings library for plugins - OpenCompositi
    ii  python-compizconfig                        0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1           Compiz configuration system bindings

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    ii  compizconfig-settings-manager              0.6.99~git20071005+3v1ubuntu0        Plugin and configuration tool - Compiz Fusio
    ii  libcompizconfig-backend-gconf              0.6.0~git20071003+3v1ubuntu0         GNOME Backend for the Compiz Configuration S
    You have a repository not suitable for your version of Ubuntu enabled.

Go to System → Administration → Software Sources and remove any third party software sources you added there that might be related.
    Afterwards, remove all Compiz packages from your system.
    Do a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    And finally install Compiz again.

Beans

now it opens, but I get that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

this is where i usually backup and reformat and and reinstall, I tend to just nuke it at the first sign of trouble.

Tehathu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tehathu View Post
    this is where i usually backup and reformat and and reinstall, I tend to just nuke it at the first sign of trouble.

Tehathu
    yeah... same here but i'm on my 6th or 7th install in under 2 months.. and i just got everything working except for this. maybe i should reinstall and never mess with compiz again?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bakersfield90 View Post
    now it opens, but I get that.
    Post the output of
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep compiz
    again.