Thread: Wireless Problems

Beans

Wireless Problems

Okay, I have been able to connect to wireless networks perfectly fine for awhile now. My family has a new home, and until we get wired network throughout, my dad finally bought a wireless router to make do. We have a WEP 128 bit encryption to secure it. However, whenever I go to connect, if I choose open network or whatever it tries to connect for a bit and then gives up and asks for the security key again. If I choose shared key it tries to connect for a bit then gives up and doesn't ask again. Yes, I am certain I am using the correct key, before anyone asks. The network driver is Broadcom B43. I tried to open hardware information to find my card type but it won't open for some reason. The laptop is a Dell latitude D620 if that says anything.

I forgot to say this. If I go to administration>network, turn roaming off on wireless and connect that way, I connect but I can't do anything. No pages will load or anything.
    Last edited by Crimsunwulf; May 30th, 2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Forgot about a bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsunwulf View Post
    Okay, I have been able to connect to wireless networks perfectly fine for awhile now. My family has a new home, and until we get wired network throughout, my dad finally bought a wireless router to make do. We have a WEP 128 bit encryption to secure it. However, whenever I go to connect, if I choose open network or whatever it tries to connect for a bit and then gives up and asks for the security key again. If I choose shared key it tries to connect for a bit then gives up and doesn't ask again. Yes, I am certain I am using the correct key, before anyone asks. The network driver is Broadcom B43. I tried to open hardware information to find my card type but it won't open for some reason. The laptop is a Dell latitude D620 if that says anything.

I forgot to say this. If I go to administration>network, turn roaming off on wireless and connect that way, I connect but I can't do anything. No pages will load or anything.
    Have you tried connecting to it without network manager?
    Code:
    sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
    sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop
    Here is a link on how to connect manually if you have not tried it before:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495