Thread: Completely removing xubuntu-desktop from Kubuntu

Beans

Completely removing xubuntu-desktop from Kubuntu

So, I'm fairly new to Linux. I've been running Kubuntu 8.04 for a month or so (since it was released). I was feeling a bit adventurous and installed the package xubuntu-desktop to give Xubuntu a quick test drive. I decided that I would just stick with the KDE after all.

I have completely removed and purged xubuntu-desktop as far as I know. However, all of the programs that xubuntu-desktop came with are still installed. Is there an easy way to purge everything that came with xubuntu-desktop? Of course, if Xubuntu and Kubuntu happen to use some of the same things, I would like to be able to keep those for use in Kubuntu.

Am I asking the impossible? I wouldn't be too worried, but hard drive space is limited in the Kubuntu partition. Every little bit will help. The addition of xubuntu-desktop added roughly 500mb. After removal, in only reduced it by about 250mb.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Completely removing xubuntu-desktop from Kubuntu

What command did you use to remove xubuntu-desktop?

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

Beans

Since I used Adept to install it, I used Adept to remove it. After I realized everything was not removed, I used sudo apt-get purge xubuntu-desktop command hoping that would remove the remaining components.

Beans

Try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    If that doesn't work, open adept and search for xfce, and from there you can carefully remove these xfce named packages (make sure you don't remove something that takes out half your system!).

Beans

You can actually use regex pattern matching to get rid of everything that has a certain thing in its name. I'm at school right now, so I can't experiment around, but this gives a good description you should be able to get started from.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.