Thread: Can't connect...MySQL

Beans

Can't connect...MySQL

I just set up 8.0 and installed mysql. I can ping the Ubuntu box from my XP system no problem, but can't log in to mysql, nor can I telnet to my Ubuntu box. I tried telneting to port 22,23,3306(Mysql) but nothing...it just hangs. Does Ubuntu have some sort of built in firewall or port mapper that blocks off port communications?

Beans

Re: Can't connect...MySQL

well to access mysql from another pc you need to set permissions.. its normally available in phpmyadmin where you enter the ip of the xp machine to allow access to mysql

Beans

Right...the MySQL side I understand fine...I am actually a database administrator. It's the networking/Ubuntu side I think I'm having problems with. I say that because I can ping the Ubuntu box but when I try to log in it just hangs. If it were a permission problem I would receive an error message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by gharabed View Post
    I just set up 8.0 and installed mysql. I can ping the Ubuntu box from my XP system no problem, but can't log in to mysql, nor can I telnet to my Ubuntu box. I tried telneting to port 22,23,3306(Mysql) but nothing...it just hangs. Does Ubuntu have some sort of built in firewall or port mapper that blocks off port communications?
    Ubuntu does not block any ports by default. Unless you installed something to restrict network access, it will be open. One thing though, by default mysql only listens for connections from localhost when it is installed, and will not be able to accept external connections. If you want to change that, you will need to change the bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf; you can either comment it out, or set it to the actual ip address of the server. Afterwards, restart the mysql service.