Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: [SOLVED] Screen Width Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [SOLVED] Screen Width Problem

One last suggestion. Some LCD TV's do fine using a regular VGA cable for the video, but some do much better if you use a DVI-d cable instead. See if there is a DVI input on the back of the TV and if you have a DVI output on your video card.

Unfortunately, this costs something to implement, unless you can borrow a cable from someone to try it with first.

To make sure the video card is using the DVI port (assuming it has one) turn off the computer before swapping the cable and make sure the TV is turned on and the DVI input is selected before booting up.

I used this technique with a 30" Syntax/Olevia LCD-TV a friend of mine had and the difference was striking.

PS;

To officially thank someone in the forums, look in one of their helpful posts and click the gold star in the lower right corner.
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: [SOLVED] Screen Width Problem

Quote Originally Posted by mgmiller View Post
    One last suggestion. Some LCD TV's do fine using a regular VGA cable for the video, but some do much better if you use a DVI-d cable instead. See if there is a DVI input on the back of the TV and if you have a DVI output on your video card.

Unfortunately, this costs something to implement, unless you can borrow a cable from someone to try it with first.

To make sure the video card is using the DVI port (assuming it has one) turn off the computer before swapping the cable and make sure the TV is turned on and the DVI input is selected before booting up.

I used this technique with a 30" Syntax/Olevia LCD-TV a friend of mine had and the difference was striking.

PS;

To officially thank someone in the forums, look in one of their helpful posts and click the gold star in the lower right corner.
    Thanks. This particular video card doesn't have a DVI output. However, I did ask my brother-in-law about that. He had been using this TV/monitor to play video games, and he claimed that the VGA port yielded much better results from a computer than the DVI port.

Yes, I found the little gold stars. In fact, I sent you one yesterday.
    Thanks.

Ubuntu Studio 8.04, Pentium 4/2.4GHz, Asus P4S800D-X mobo, 4GB RAM, 160GB Western Digital HD, nVidia GeForce FX-6200 video card

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567