Thread: Permission on NTFS through Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Permission on NTFS through Linux

Hello,

I have dual boot, all my documents are stored on NTFS partition,on vista i got myself a protection by FolderLock Xp handy tool from sneaky people, anyways i tried changing permission on linux of these folders and i cant ! i wanted to make them only root accessible. I tried makin random folder on the desktop and setting permission, it worked. So the way i see it, its because of NTFS , i guess .i tried through termial, and through gksudo nautilus . didnt work !

Is there any way to lock folder * set permissions * over NFTS system on ubuntu ?

Thanks in advance.
    Qosmio F40 Santa Rosa
    HTC Hero rocks
    “A bartender is a temporary pharmacist with a limited inventory”

Beans

Re: Permission on NTFS through Linux

Because NTFS doesn't store UNIX file properties, those properties have to be emulated. When an NTFS or FAT partition is mounted, mount options cat set the apparent owner and permissions of all the files on the partition. For ntfs and fat, mount takes these options (and they can be set in fstab for permanent configuration):
    uid= sets the owner of the files, e.g. uid=1000
    umask= sets the inverse of the permissions bits on the file, e.g. umask=077
    I think uid=0,umask=077 is probably what you want.
    Use the commands "man mount" and "man fstab" to see details ("q" to quit).
    So setting uid=

Beans
    Distro

I figured it had something to do with the mounting , but im just 2 months into *nix world but my progress is satisfactory I will work on it in 2 days, after my exams and will post you back with my results ! Thanks
    Qosmio F40 Santa Rosa
    HTC Hero rocks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can't really lock Ubuntu out of an NTFS partition, as it won't support *nix permissions.

Beans
    Distro

i don't want to lock out, i want to block out anyone that does not have password to access my files if i leave my laptop unattended .
    Qosmio F40 Santa Rosa
    HTC Hero rocks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by marcon00 View Post
    i don't want to lock out, i want to block out anyone that does not have password to access my files if i leave my laptop unattended .
    Create a keyboard shortcut for locking the screen, then.

And also know that if you leave your laptop unattended for a long period of time, if you don't trust the people who have access to it, and if they have any technical knowledge, they essentially have root access to everything on your laptop anyway.

Beans
    Distro

ALt+ctrl+L ? i want to have extra security over a folder, to at least give me this extra couple of min of security, in case of my family using my laptop. very much simple , normal people do not have even visual access over my laptop, family is the problem. I just want lock the folder so it wont be easy as double-click to enter it.
    Qosmio F40 Santa Rosa
    HTC Hero rocks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay. So you trust them to use your computer and you also think they know nothing of how to get around security through obscurity, but you don't want them snooping around your NTFS drive?

If that's the case, you might be able to make access to the NTFS drive inconvenient, but it'll be inconvenient for you as well.

Paste these commands in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Check to see what your NTFS drive is called. Let's say, for this example, it's /dev/sda1
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sda1
    sudo mkdir /ntfsdrive
    sudo nano -B /etc/fstab
    Comment out (put a # sign in front of) the line that already refers to /dev/sda1 (or whatever it's UUID is). Then add a new line
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 /ntfsdrive ntfs nouser,noauto,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
    Then save (Control-X, Y, Enter)

Now, if they double-click the drive, they'll get an error message saying they can't mount the drive because they don't have permission. To mount the drive, you will need to issue the command
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Instead of Flock try Truecrypt

Instead of Folder lock (which I used in the past) I use Truecrypt which there is a windows version and Linux version and each one can access off different drive formats. You can also do a read only with it.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Also, as a side note, if you use roboform on windows, I use Keepass (XP) Keepassx (linux) as a substitute.