Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: [SOLVED] suspend and hibernate questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    suspend and hibernate questions

    is there a way to log what is happening when i suspend or hibernate?
    a log file just for suspend and/or hibernate or a way to start it from the terminal so i can see any errors?

    my laptop (dell xps m1210) used to suspend quite will but would hibernate and never wake..

    now after i have been messing with pulse audio and some other things it will not do either. it just gives a warning beep and tells my it failed to suspend or hibernate and i should look at the help guide.

    thanks for any pointers.

    nutz

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle-Eastside
    Beans
    309
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    How much free space do you have on your drive? Were you close to capactiy and put much closer recently?

    Just a thought because hibernations takes quite a lot of space to save the system state. I think its on the order of hundreds of megabytes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,860
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    Try this it worked on my desktop.

    On pressing the power button I was back on in seconds and no login.

    opened all the windows I had running.

    sudo pm-hibernate

    I'm making a launcher for it.

    Using the normal quit then hibernate would lock my system up. REISUB only fix

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Beans
    1,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    id be interested in getting either of those working...and i have 2gig's of ram and a 3gig swap but still no luck

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    pm-suspend worked for me, sadly i lost my usb yet again coming back up. but that happened from time to time before ..

    i still have laptop screen issues trying to reboot after a suspend (the screen fills with vertical lines, i think it has to do with my nvidia card and the refresh rate)

    pm-hibernate seems to save fine but i just get a normal boot up sequence as far as i can tell..

    i have 2 gigs of ram and a 3.5 gig swap file and lots of free space in my partitions.

    nutz

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bentonville AR
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    I too have the USB problem after waking from suspend. (Thought that 'twas only on Thinkpad, but I'm wrong, my HP got infected too!!!)
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,860
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    Quote Originally Posted by nutpants View Post
    pm-suspend worked for me, sadly i lost my usb yet again coming back up. but that happened from time to time before ..

    i still have laptop screen issues trying to reboot after a suspend (the screen fills with vertical lines, i think it has to do with my nvidia card and the refresh rate)

    pm-hibernate seems to save fine but i just get a normal boot up sequence as far as i can tell..

    i have 2 gigs of ram and a 3.5 gig swap file and lots of free space in my partitions.

    nutz
    Thats odd like I said before it looks like a normal boot but I was back to my desktop with windows open in seconds and no login.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Beans
    243
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    Quote Originally Posted by nutpants View Post
    is there a way to log what is happening when i suspend or hibernate?
    a log file just for suspend and/or hibernate or a way to start it from the terminal so i can see any errors?

    my laptop (dell xps m1210) used to suspend quite will but would hibernate and never wake..

    now after i have been messing with pulse audio and some other things it will not do either. it just gives a warning beep and tells my it failed to suspend or hibernate and i should look at the help guide.

    thanks for any pointers.

    nutz

    I would love to get it working on my system as well - I'm not using a laptop but I can't get either to work on my desktop system. The system hangs after suspend and hibernate

    Please help my Virtual City grow goto http://virtuallines.myminicity.com/ & tell your friends!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxIsInnovation View Post
    I too have the USB problem after waking from suspend. (Thought that 'twas only on Thinkpad, but I'm wrong, my HP got infected too!!!)
    im working around my usb problem not powering on by having a launcher run "lsusb" which bring my usb back working 98/100 times
    (and i dont even notice that my laptop usb has no power when my devices are pluged into a powered usb hub)

    nutz

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Beans
    51
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: suspend and hibernate questions

    I'm having the same problem, my desktop (Dell XPS 410) suspended fine until recently after I download updates ... It's something you just have to have, the ability to suspend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •