Thread: [SOLVED] Network Shares... a little help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question [SOLVED] Network Shares... a little help?

Hey all,

I've been trying to find the command to add a network share. I found the following:

Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs //fileserver/public /mnt/public -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx
    When I do this, I get the following:

"mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //fileserver, missing codepage or helper program, or other error..."

I know it can connect to this share, because if I go to the "Location" in nautilus,

smb://fileserver/public

It works fine.

What am I missing?

Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only hours of being placed in captivity, they can train humans to stand at the side of the pool and throw fish to them?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Network Shares... a little help?

Looking at the man page, it appears smbmount has been deprecated? It suggested using cifs.

Give me a few to check it out.

EDIT: I'm not sure why they say deprecated--it appears you can use it just fine still.

Check out: http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesys...rmanently.html this might help out?
    Last edited by wootah; May 29th, 2008 at 06:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The issued command looks perfect though... aside from the obvious (correct username/password) does the mount destination exist?

Gotta cover all bases

EDIT: Try this:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //<ip>/share_name /media/my_share -o username=theuser,password=thepass,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    (From: http://www.thatsquality.com/linux/mo...res-using-cifs)
    Last edited by wootah; May 29th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think Wootah is on the right path here. I had a similar problem that drove me nuts for a while. In general, what I discovered was that the more -o options you give, the better. Also try listing the workgroup/domain name or even the ip address. I.E.

Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs //<ip>/share_name /media/my_share -o username=theuser,password=thepass,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,domain=thedomain,ip=theIPaddress
    More options can be found by doing a man on smbmount. These options should work in cifs, too.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by clong83 View Post
    I think Wootah is on the right path here. I had a similar problem that drove me nuts for a while. In general, what I discovered was that the more -o options you give, the better. Also try listing the workgroup/domain name or even the ip address. I.E.

Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs //<ip>/share_name /media/my_share -o username=theuser,password=thepass,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,domain=thedomain,ip=theIPaddress
    More options can be found by doing a man on smbmount. These options should work in cifs, too.
    In specific:
    Code:
    man mount.smbfs
    man mount.cifs
    Hope we're getting close here

Beans
    Distro

Ok, turns out that IP address and cifs worked...

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //ip.address.goes.here/public /mnt/public -o username=xxx,password=xxx
    This works fine for me. It wouldn't accept any form of the FQDN... I *had* to use the ip address... and smbfs wouldn't work at all, only cifs.

I noticed in the options, you specified file access levels... does accessing the share in this way override the file permissions that the server has set for the account I log in with?

Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only hours of being placed in captivity, they can train humans to stand at the side of the pool and throw fish to them?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMarshmallow View Post
    Ok, turns out that IP address and cifs worked...

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //ip.address.goes.here/public /mnt/public -o username=xxx,password=xxx
    This works fine for me. It wouldn't accept any form of the FQDN... I *had* to use the ip address... and smbfs wouldn't work at all, only cifs.

I noticed in the options, you specified file access levels... does accessing the share in this way override the file permissions that the server has set for the account I log in with?
    Good question:

From man:
    dir_mode=arg
    If the server does not support the CIFS Unix extensions this overrides the default mode for directories.

file_mode=arg
    If the server does not support the CIFS Unix extensions this overrides the default file mode.
    In the case of using connecting to a Windows share/Samaba, I think using the two options are probably moot. Leaving them off so do you just fine.

Hope that answers things!