Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Nvidia graphics required to attain stable Compiz effects?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is Nvidia graphics required to attain stable Compiz effects?

I am an Intel 915GM user and have yet to experience any sort of stable Compiz usage. Having tried Xgl and Aixgl from when it was not even alpha, stability has increased over time, but it's not stable enough yet. Every 3-4 days of usage, X will restart in the middle of a busy work session making me loose time and money... I always try Compiz after each Ubuntu release in hopes that 6 months of development may have increased stability, but even with Hardy the same 3-4 day rule appears to be true. (I recall that Firefox 3 Beta + Google Spreadsheet + Compiz was a sure-to-crash combination for instance).

I have also installed Ubuntu on two other computers, both using ATI cards which up until recently required Xgl which has been stable but requires a lot of CPU and what not.

I have only heard good things about Nvidia+Compiz combination, so now when it's time to get a new laptop I am very interested in the very question that is in this threads topic: Is Nvidia graphics required to attain stable Compiz effects?

Thanks for any info!
    Cheers

Beans

Re: Is Nvidia graphics required to attain stable Compiz effects?

Intel, Intel, Intel.
    Malac - "Time Is Precious, Waste It Wisely"
    Registered Linux User 416897
    Registered Ubuntu User 7567

Beans

Well, Nvidia cards are the best for linux because everyone seems to have problems with ati, in windows and linux. But, i use integrated graphics i810 and they are what you would call stable, but slow because of my computers age. Try updating your drivers.

Beans

I just read the "Blacklisted?" thread, your card is blacklisted and for some reason ubuntu un-blacklisted it. So do not expect stable performance with your graphics, that was the main reason it was blacklisted.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Malac View Post
    Intel, Intel, Intel.
    Read, read, read about my experiences with intel. Then motivate, motivate, motivate your reply, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hellow View Post
    Well, Nvidia cards are the best for linux because everyone seems to have problems with ati, in windows and linux. But, i use integrated graphics i810 and they are what you would call stable, but slow because of my computers age. Try updating your drivers.
    With every Ubuntu release, the drivers usually gets updated (not?), so I regularly try newer drivers - however without success...

Beans

I have Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 on my motherboard and Compiz works great as is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

nvidia is best , intel integrated graphics have poor performance in everything.

Beans

As i said, the intel GMA 950, X3000, and X3100 are blacklisted, meaning they may or may not work with compiz fusion. If you experience poor performance or cannot use compiz-fusion, that is your problem. You should have known that you can have issues if you un-blacklist them.
    EDIT: Here is the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765875

"If you do this please do not post about any issues you have with stability or video playback problems, that's why your card was blacklisted in the first place."
    Last edited by collinp; May 29th, 2008 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dlmoak View Post
    I have Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 on my motherboard and Compiz works great as is.
    But this card is blacklisted... see below:

Quote Originally Posted by Hellow View Post
    As i said, the intel GMA 950, X3000, and X3100 are blacklisted, meaning they may or may not work with compiz fusion. If you experience poor performance or cannot use compiz-fusion, that is your problem. You should have known that you can have issues if you un-blacklist them.
    EDIT: Here is the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765875

"If you do this please do not post about any issues you have with stability or video playback problems, that's why your card was blacklisted in the first place."
    I have an Intel 915GM card currently and looking for a new laptop. I guess your post was aimed at dlmoak?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast