Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Quote Originally Posted by SAKeeler View Post
    im having some issues with getting the drive to boot, maybe someone has some ideas.

Windows xp SP3 is the working OS for creation of the drive. I'm using a 20 GB toshiba HD in an external enclosure.

creation of the target from an ISO of the latest ubuntu seems to go fine. but when i boot to the usb drive i get:

Remove Disks or other media.
    Press any key to restart.

unetbootin-windows-235.exe is being used

thoughts are welcome on what to try.
    if you require more details on anything just ask.

i have tried creating the usb drive with the linux installer as well through the ubuntu live cd
    the results are the same
    Try booting the USB drive on another computer that you know can boot from USB; are you getting the same error? Did you also check the contents of the drive you installed to after UNetbootin installed; were the contents of the Ubuntu ISO file, and the files syslinux.cfg, ubnkern, ubninit, and ldlinux.sys (you may need to use "show hidden files" to see them) in the top directory of the drive?

Beans

Just to confirm with you tuxcantfly, does persistent mode work with Linux Mint 5r1?

Beans

Question Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

A few questions before I try this:

1. My USB MicroDrive has a 9GB FAT32 partition and a 3GB Swap Partition. If I install Xubuntu on the FAT32 partition will it recognize and use the 3GB Swap Partition also on the MicroDrive?

2. I have 6GB worth of Windows programs that I need to do my job and they have no Linux versions. Can I install them on the drive with WINE?

3. Will I be able to put this drive in my computer at work and run Xubuntu by bringing up the boot menu with F12?

4. Will I be able to upgrade Xubuntu, or will I need to reinstall it using a new iso file?

5. Any other comments, suggestions, hints for a first time user?

Beans

JR Tyner, I think you can do a normal install to your USB stick. See here for more information.

So far, I've only converted my USB stick into a LiveUSB distro using unetbootin and it works like a charm.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

tuxcantfly, Thanks a LOT for this utility. I picked a very bad time to attempt a fresh install (not primary machine so it's not the end of the world or anything) of Intrepid Alpha 2 because apparently my CD drive is dying. I downloaded the Alternate Installer (no Live CD yet - I wish you'd suppport, if possible, the Alternate Installer) and verified the MD5 of the ISO but every time I'd to an integrity check it would fail. Ultimately the CD's were fine though (tested on another machine)... the CD drive was dying. Later tests proved this out when the install puked after nuking my old partitions. Anyway, since unetbootin doesn't support the alternate installer image, I let it download and create based on the Hardy refresh. I read on the wiki that certain changes would be required but that turned out not to be the case for me. It worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I had a question about this. I used this software to setup the live usb stick. I went into the bios and set it to boot from the usb drive and it does. It brings up the little ubuntu loading graphic but once that finishes it just goes to a blank screen. I'm not quite sure why or how to tell what's going on. It did work with the iso on a dvd. I just need it for another PC though that I'm not able to use the cd drive on.

Beans

So, it would appear that the problem that I was having was related to the specific PC I was trying it on. I don't know why the iso on a dvd would work and not on a flash drive but it is working on other PCs and working for the one I wanted it to in the first place anyway. I just had another question though. Is there a way to make the live usb drive persistent while you're using it. Or would you only be able to do it from outside in windows or linux? I saw the instructions about making it persistent but I'm not sure if I can edit those things while it's running.

Also, if I can would it be the one labeled as "file system" that I want to extract the casper.rw to?

Beans

well
    i tried UNetbootin and it works like a charm
    but
    i need to make a multiboot pendrive (i need several distros and recovery iso's), all i want is put the pendrive into the usb port, start the computer, and choose which iso image to load
    UNetbootin does that but uses just one iso at the time
    is there possible to make it to put on the pendrive several iso's at once?
    and to be able to choose which one to boot?
    i tried to create multiboot iso(it is ok this way too) with magiciso,ultraiso,easyboot(this one is much too complicated for me,it might work if someone can explain me how to create a multiboot isowith it)
    but al of them makes my pendrive getting stuck after booting at the main menu, where i have only 'default' option, and no other, and nothing works, the timer continue to run from 10 seconds to 0 again and again
    when i put on just one iso, everything runs ok(i can get into livecd, install it, etc)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Persistance is higly needed or fedore will crush ubuntu using https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator

I know there is a liveusb project in launchpad, but thats not for windows, which is an important demographic for getting new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

when I try with the *Ubuntu 8.04.1, during the boot I get several "Buffer I/O error on device fd0 logical block 0" warnings and the system fail to start.

Could be a distro stuff? I've successfully start many LiveUSB --> LiveUSB before (including *Ubuntu 8.04) but only with this version get this errors.

Following the pendrivelinux's tutorials, I also have the messages but the system actually start after a long wait.

SALUDOS/REGARDS.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast