Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Hey all,
    I have read most of this thread and do not recall seeing any mention of this, so here it goes.

I have been playing around with Unetbootin for my Asus EEE 701. At the same time, I am also trying to get Ubuntu NR to get going on that EEE.
    After wrestling with Unetbootin since late last week, I realized today that it does indeed create a live USB drive for me, I just never get prompted to boot into it. I have to manually hit escape during the POST to select the PCs boot source. Regardless what distro I use with Unetbootin(Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, BT 3). I know it is not the BIOS setup on my laptops(also testing with a sys76 laptop) because when I create a live USB with the previously mentioned Ubuntu NR, it boots up just fine.

Sorry if I lost anyone, but my basic question is this: Why does the Ubuntu Netbook Remix usb stick boot up properly, yet when I use Unetbootin, I have to manually select the boot source?

Thanks all,
    Steve

Beans

Does anyone have any tips on setting it up like its own install and not a copy of the live CD?

Beans

found my answer. remastersys.

Beans

I'm trying to
    create a live USB using UNetbootin and a 64bit version of Jaunty. The creation goes fine. But when I boot, I get:

loading /ubnkern
    loading /ubninit
    initrd extends beyond the end of memory
    disabling initrd
    1.224254 kernel panic. not syncing VFS : unable to mount root FS, unknown block

Any ideas??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sundar_ima View Post
    is it possible to create multiple live linux on a pendrive using unetbootin? tried this link but it is not user friendly for newbie like me.
    Here is a manual procedure.
    http://tazbuntu.blogspot.com/2009/05...netbootin.html

There are two major features missing in Unetbootin, multiboot being one.
    The other one is an option not to extract ISO, unless it's necessary. For example, I'd like to have Windows XP installation ISO, can I have it without extraction?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    EDIT: This apparently doesn't work anymore on 8.04 (I last tested this on 7.10), see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent for instructions instead

Go to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/diskimg/ and download one of the files (128mb.zip, 256mb.zip, or 512mb.zip) corresponding to the amount of persistent space you want (make sure the size of the persistent disk image is smaller than the free space you have on your USB drive).

Now extract the file "casper.rw" from the zip file to your USB drive.

Now edit D:\syslinux.cfg (assuming D:\ is where your USB drive is) and add in "persistent" at the end of the line that begins with "append", and save the file, so your syslinux.cfg should look something like this:

Code:
    default unetbootin
    label unetbootin
    	kernel /ubnkern
    	append initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash persistent --
    For more info see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

Hopefully I'll get this automated in the next version or so.
    I made a hardy heron startup disk no problem, but when I try to get persistent mode working (as per above instructions) I get a disk I/O error in FD0 and I drop back to a shell prompt. Any ideas?

EDIT:Sorry I didn't notice the line at the top. It doesn't work with Hardy. I have now tried Jaunty. Same result.
    Last edited by woodbrick; July 21st, 2009 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok I have just about run out of options, and I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with my hardware (??) when it comes to running a persistent live Jaunty USB.

I have tried everything suggested in this thread, and I have also gone through these:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent and
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubu...stall-windows/

All yield very similar results. I can always get the kernel loaded and the first splash screen displayed. With Ubetootin, I can actually boot up in non-persistent mode.

With all the other options, or with Unetbootin after editing the syslinux.cfg file, I still get the splash screen, but after the line goes back and across the screen about 50 times, I get a black screen and an error message that says something about an I/O error at FD0.

I do know that 'fd' means floppy drive, but I don't have one, and I don't have any floppy marked as a boot device in BIOS.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to how I can get a working (peristent) live USB???

Beans

doesn't work with tiny core 2.2
    "I took the red pill, but I installed the blue Linux"

Archlinux user, using it right now.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

doesn't work with slitaz stable

i haven't tried the cooking version
    Last edited by karlmp; August 13th, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
    "I took the red pill, but I installed the blue Linux"

Archlinux user, using it right now.

Beans

In spite of all the posts about Unetbootin (I'm a newb to Linux but I know a nice piece of work when I see it, well done), I'm still having some difficulty. I used a cruzer 2G used the box to get Linux Mint but I can't get my machine (2005 model) to boot to the usb. I can pull up the drive letter, see all the files and ISO but how do I get it to work as an OS? Net BIOS won't give me the option to boot to USB. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on how to proceed from this point. Thanks in advance.
    doctorphibes ?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast