Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

when ever i try this on my 8gb usb drive

it seems to do it ok but when trying to boot using usb it just seems to ignore it and loasd the default os already on the system.

I have changed the boot order for the usb memory to boot first but still the same.

any ideas

i have tried the pendrivelinux and unetbootin same results for both

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by terry_gardener View Post
    when ever i try this on my 8gb usb drive

it seems to do it ok but when trying to boot using usb it just seems to ignore it and loasd the default os already on the system.

I have changed the boot order for the usb memory to boot first but still the same.

any ideas

i have tried the pendrivelinux and unetbootin same results for both

Thanks
    If you've used both pendrivelinux and unetbootin, and your computer isn't booting from USB for either, it's most likely your BIOS settings. Consult your motherboard's manual, they usually have instructions for booting from various media, are you completely sure you set it up correctly? Maybe you'll have to update your BIOS if it's an older computer. If you're certain you configured it correctly, try booting the USB drive on another computer which you have confirmed is able to boot from USB, does it boot then, or does it also ignore the USB drive (if it's the former, then it's an issue with your BIOS)? Perhaps check the contents of the USB drive, can you confirm that the hidden file ldlinux.sys and syslinux.cfg exist (they should)?

@Kpu4: that's most likely because you're using a micro-SD card, and some card readers aren't supported by Linux; try again with a proper USB drive or maybe try the Hard Disk installation mode, or perhaps try installing a different distro (PCLinuxOS tends to work well).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I`m trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a laptop with a broken cd drive. I get the error "couldn`t find kernel /ubnkern" or something similar.
    The laptop is currently running Ubuntu 8.04 but it`s messed up (my fault I just love to tweak).
    It will boot from usb because I tried some manual instructions (copying the content`s of a cd onto the pendrive, putting syslinux on it, editing the syslinux.config files etc) and it nearly worked.
    Should I be selecting Hard Disk on the bottom left dropdown where it says type? (I want a clean Gutsy install over the whole laptop).
    The instructions at the top of this thread are for windows. Should I be doing something different from Ubuntu?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    I`m trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a laptop with a broken cd drive. I get the error "couldn`t find kernel /ubnkern" or something similar.
    The laptop is currently running Ubuntu 8.04 but it`s messed up (my fault I just love to tweak).
    It will boot from usb because I tried some manual instructions (copying the content`s of a cd onto the pendrive, putting syslinux on it, editing the syslinux.config files etc) and it nearly worked.
    Should I be selecting Hard Disk on the bottom left dropdown where it says type? (I want a clean Gutsy install over the whole laptop).
    The instructions at the top of this thread are for windows. Should I be doing something different from Ubuntu?
    Thanks.
    Since you used custom instructions, did you also remember to copy the kernel file at (paths relative to the ISO/USB drive contents) /casper/vmlinuz to /ubnkern, and the initrd file at /casper/initrd.gz to /ubninit, since that's where UNetbootin expects those files to be? It seems like syslinux, which has been configured to go by UNetbootin's default paths, is not finding them. Otherwise, try changing the syslinux.cfg to this:

Code:
    default unetbootin
    label unetbootin
    	kernel /casper/vmlinuz
    	append initrd=/casper/initrd.gz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

in UNetbootin 235 Damn Small Linux 4.4 Live (The only option) does not work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by efrenefren View Post
    does not work meaning it does not download the ISO file.

Beans
    Distro

Oh darn, seems like the URL changed. For the time being, just download the ISO file from ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...4.2-initrd.iso and specify it using the ISO diskimage option.

Beans
    Distro

Why not use this link instead?
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...nt/current.iso

so that you will always sure you will get the current.

Beans
    Distro

Why not use this link instead?
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...nt/current.iso

so that you will always sure you will get the current.
    That one points to the standard ISO ( ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu.../dsl-4.4.2.iso ) which doesn't work as reliably as the -initrd.iso one since it has to locate the external file titled "KNOPPIX" on boot, rather than having everything be loaded via the initrd by the bootloader at once. I'll probably just use a few regexps to filter out the latest url to the -initrd.iso file to avoid having to update the urls.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; June 28th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

im having some issues with getting the drive to boot, maybe someone has some ideas.

Windows xp SP3 is the working OS for creation of the drive. I'm using a 20 GB toshiba HD in an external enclosure.

creation of the target from an ISO of the latest ubuntu seems to go fine. but when i boot to the usb drive i get:

Remove Disks or other media.
    Press any key to restart.

unetbootin-windows-235.exe is being used

thoughts are welcome on what to try.
    if you require more details on anything just ask.

i have tried creating the usb drive with the linux installer as well through the ubuntu live cd
    the results are the same
    Last edited by SAKeeler; June 29th, 2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: update info

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast