Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Howto: Create LiveUSBs from Windows using a GUI (UNetbootin)

I have not heard of a way to do it with UNetbootin, try MultiBootUSB.

Beans

OK, I'll try MultiBootUSB. I'm surprised the well-known Unetbootin is so limited. Thanks for your reply.

Beans

Thanks again C.S.Cameron, MultiBootUSB worked fine after I removed a dupe '/' from a CONFIG line in the menu/unlisted.cfg file.

CONFIG /multiboot/BT5R3-KDE-64/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

CONFIG /multiboot/lupu-528.005//isolinux.cfg

The BT5R3-KDE-64 line was OK as is, but the lupu-528.005 line needed fixing. There was no isolinux subdirectory for lupu-528.005.

Beans

sandisk 8 gb, had it formated NTFS but thanks to dubref managed to fix by formatting to fat32

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Last year I started burning flashdrives instead of CDs from new Ubuntu .iso downloads. I used standard Ubuntu software, not Unetbootin, to burn two of them and they booted and worked fine for me until I tried to reformat them in preparation for burning a new .iso on to them. At that point they both failed to reformat and became unusable despite my trying many different tools to get them working again. One was an 8GB Kingston Data Traveller and when I contacted Kingston about possible boot sector repair software for their device, they told me their product doesn't support using it in bootable mode at all.

So my question now is which flashdrive brands support being used as bootable and are then subsequently still capable of being reformatted ready for a new .iso, and which brands aren't? I must admit surprise that a major brand like Kingston doesn't support bootable useage. Someone suggested Sandisk Cruzer and HP can be made bootable and can later be subsequently reformatted OK, but having destroyed two flashdrives this way I'm not keen to risk burning any more without some reassurance that they're going to survive.

If I understand correctly, different brands use different boot sectors so some have greater resilience to being made bootable than others.

Or could it be that if burned with UNerbootin instead of standard Ubuntu software, even Kingstons can be recycled over and over again?

Beans
    Distro

I Have had good luck with Kingston DataTraveler. I'm still using several that I have had since this thread was new.
    Bad luck with Kingston 32GB DataTraveler 100G2, formatting multiple partitions, seems to have killed it.
    And real good luck with Sandisk Cruzer Fit. These seem quite fast for USB2 to me.
    I am convinced that trying to format a multi partition flash drive in Windows is not a good thing.

With both Startup Disk Creator and UNetbootin, there is no need to format the drive if it is already FAT32, and no need to format between Ubuntu persistent installations, just manually delete the previous installation and run the installer again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I Have had good luck with Kingston DataTraveler. I'm still using several that I have had since this thread was new.
    Hmm.. Thanks, but just to be sure, please could you confirm you had previously burned and used these Kingstons as live and bootable before you recycled them with new .isos ?
    Bad luck with Kingston 32GB DataTraveler 100G2, formatting multiple partitions, seems to have killed it.
    Yes, I can imagine that trying multiple partitions would be pushing one's luck a bit too far. If I understand correctly, the process of burning anything live and bootable necessarily causes some changes to be automatically made in the boot sector, and I'm not clear myself whether Startup Disk Creator and UNetbootin handle this part differently. I mean could Startup Disk Creator be blamed for the subsequent troubles I've had at the recycling stage, and could using UNetbootin instead possibly have avoided them?
    And real good luck with Sandisk Cruzer Fit. These seem quite fast for USB2 to me.
    I am convinced that trying to format a multi partition flash drive in Windows is not a good thing.
    Well yes, any operation in Windows seems to imply hazards and should be avoided if at all possible. Only this last weekend a Kingston 32GB (in this case I hadn't made it bootable) has mysteriously become completely write-protected and unresponsive to any formatting after I'd used it in a Windows programme to transfer data. I'm begiinning to wonder if my Windows (which I only use rarely), could possinly be harbouring a virus that somehow attacks flashdrive boot sectors? This wasn't the only flashdrive that's mysteriously gone write-protected on me ;(
    With both Startup Disk Creator and UNetbootin, there is no need to format the drive if it is already FAT32, and no need to format between Ubuntu persistent installations, just manually delete the previous installation and run the installer again.
    Yes, OK, thanks for that. When I've tried to recycle my live flashdrives with new .isos in the past, I've only resorted to trying reformatting when Startup Disk Creator failed.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that's been causing my flashdrives to become unusable. It's got to more than simple bad luck! Anyway, today I've bought a Sandisk Cruzer as one replacement, and I'm going to try burning it with UNetbootin and see if this brings better luck.

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro

I have two DataTraveler 8GB and four 4GB left.

The 8GB's usually have a portion as Ubuntu Persistent or Full install, one has gone missing and the other is being used daily for data. Both have been used with multiple partitions, FAT32, ext3, ext2 and swap partitions.

One 4GB runs XP, I used this to run my entertainment center, that only had S-video accessible, and would not work with Ubuntu.
    One 4GB is a grub2 boot drive, it doubles as an install disk and emergency disk. I have just added the 14.04 iso's.
    One 4GB had a Full install that I upgraded every release until a full install would no longer fit on a 4GB. Now I us it for data and testing new releases.
    The last 4GB has been used for Full installs, Persistent installs, DSL, Puppy, gparted, etc, etc, and data and has been formatted many times using gparted.

One Sandisk Fit has 12GB / and 8GB swap, I have been using this for the entertainment center.
    The other Fit Has 4GB NTFS, 5GB / and 7GB /home. The NTFS partition is for transferring data on a Windows computer. I used this to play movies on my work laptop.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213