Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after few seconds of media play, hang !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Exclamation after few seconds of media play, player hangs ( Sound Stops, Video be very slow ) !

i've a strange problem with Ubuntu
    when any media plays on my computer, only few seconds or minutes then it hangs ! ( the media hangs, not the computer )

How it hangs ? -> many shapes .. it may be slow sometimes, but very very slow
    or may be like paused or stopped .

What is the media i'm talking about ? -> Any Thing, Flash ( Youtube, .. ) , MP3, WMV, AVI, ..

Which program you're using ? -> Any One, Totem, mPlayer, ..

that problem happened with me in : Ubuntu 6.10 and 7.10 and 8.04
    On : Intel, 512 MB Rams, 80 GB Hard
    Realtek Soundcard

Can someone help in that ?

** i haven't got that problem on ( Windows, SLAMPP, .. )
    Last edited by Ahmed.Hosny; June 10th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: after few seconds of media play, hang !

!

Beans

could it be overheating install lm_sensors to check temperatures if your mobo got sensors. also try mplayer -vo x11 file.avi to check if it's a gpu drivers problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

pc doesn't hang .. i meant that the media hangs .. or in another word -> Pauses but the play button still in the ( || ) shape, as it is'nt really paused

and in many times with the video files , the video be very very slow and the sound stop

i hope you got me

Beans

yea i read it again and i got, so i deleted that question. please answear/do the rest now =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

i tried the mplayer command you gave to me
    the file worked then the same problem happened

i can't measure the temp. of my mb

Beans

Same problem here... And it seems to get increasingly bad over time. At first I just noticed that Rhythmbox hangs once every few hours. Then YouTube videos on Firefox started hanging once in a while, then VLC and Totem and it all gets increasingly more frequent - now I can't finish a single song on Rhythmbox without hanging.

It happens a bit differently on each program - Rhythmbox just suddenly stops and hangs until forcefully closed, Totem has a few seconds of extra-slow motion with no audio before hanging, VLC actually continues but loses the audio (and sometimes hangs when the video is over), and in YouTube it plays a few seconds without audio then stops, but Firefox doesn't hang, and can continue normally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Shapira View Post
    Same problem here... And it seems to get increasingly bad over time. At first I just noticed that Rhythmbox hangs once every few hours. Then YouTube videos on Firefox started hanging once in a while, then VLC and Totem and it all gets increasingly more frequent - now I can't finish a single song on Rhythmbox without hanging.

It happens a bit differently on each program - Rhythmbox just suddenly stops and hangs until forcefully closed, Totem has a few seconds of extra-slow motion with no audio before hanging, VLC actually continues but loses the audio (and sometimes hangs when the video is over), and in YouTube it plays a few seconds without audio then stops, but Firefox doesn't hang, and can continue normally.
    yes, that's the same problem i've here .. Do you have Realtek Soundcard ?

Beans

Indeed... Realtek ALC650D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Same problem here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast