Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    18

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    Are you sure that you are able to see available networks through network manager?
    No. As I said (sorry if you didn't understand what I was trying to say), I gave up on ndiswrapper. And at the urging of several people on the IRC chat I've gone for the madwifi drivers. I did a clean install to make sure I wasn't tripping over myself. So as of now, from a clean 8.04 install, all I've done is tried to install madwifi. I can no longer see any APs in the network manager.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,527
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurdiverse View Post
    No. As I said (sorry if you didn't understand what I was trying to say), I gave up on ndiswrapper. And at the urging of several people on the IRC chat I've gone for the madwifi drivers. I did a clean install to make sure I wasn't tripping over myself. So as of now, from a clean 8.04 install, all I've done is tried to install madwifi. I can no longer see any APs in the network manager.
    Sorry for misunderstanding. Now I can understand why those commands didn't return anything.

    Have you tried this guide: http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo
    while installing madwifi drivers?
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    18

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    Sorry for misunderstanding. Now I can understand why those commands didn't return anything.

    Have you tried this guide: http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo
    while installing madwifi drivers?
    Yes, that is the exact guide I followed. I didn't notice any errors, but it doesn't seem to have worked, so perhaps I messed up somewhere.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,527
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurdiverse View Post
    Yes, that is the exact guide I followed. I didn't notice any errors, but it doesn't seem to have worked, so perhaps I messed up somewhere.
    have you done this step at the end:
    Code:
    modprobe ath_pci
    if not then can you do it now in terminal
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    18

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    have you done this step at the end:
    Code:
    modprobe ath_pci
    if not then can you do it now in terminal
    Yes, I did that before. I didn't get any apparent errors.
    Oh, and I just noticed if I right click the network manager icon in my notification area that I get a 'Edit Wireless Networks' option. I'm not sure if that relates though.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,527
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurdiverse View Post
    Yes, I did that before. I didn't get any apparent errors.
    Oh, and I just noticed if I right click the network manager icon in my notification area that I get a 'Edit Wireless Networks' option. I'm not sure if that relates though.
    If you click on that option what happens?
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    18

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    If you click on that option what happens?
    A window opens up called Wireless Networks, but there are no networks and I can't seem to add one.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,527
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurdiverse View Post
    A window opens up called Wireless Networks, but there are no networks and I can't seem to add one.
    Can you try once more reinstalling madwifi drivers using the same guide and then we can go from there
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    18

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    Can you try once more reinstalling madwifi drivers using the same guide and then we can go from there
    Okay. I'm a little iffy on the beginning though. Should I be starting at 'Removing Old Modules'? I sort of skipped the Requirements part because I didn't see anything I needed to do in there.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,527
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wireless: Can see networks, but can't connect

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurdiverse View Post
    Okay. I'm a little iffy on the beginning though. Should I be starting at 'Removing Old Modules'? I sort of skipped the Requirements part because I didn't see anything I needed to do in there.
    remove old modules otherwise it won't work.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •