Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome panel applets crashing (OAFIID)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gnome panel applets crashing (OAFIID)

Hello all,

Since upgrading to Hardy my gnome-panel applets have been crashing on first startup with the error "Panel encountered a problem with loading OAFIID:GNOME_<applet>"

The applets in question are:

• ComputerTempApplet
    • ComputerTempApplet
    • MixerApplet
    • StickyNotesApplet
    • GWeatherApplet
    • MultiloadApplet
    • KeyboardApplet

I am given the option to delete or keep them.

Not all my applets crash on startup (some load perfectly every time), and if I kill X with a Ctrl+Alt+BackSp then login again, all the applets restart with no problems.

I have tried all the proposed solutions I could find:

• Deleting pulse-$USER, orbit-$USER, gconf-$USER files from /tmp.
    • aptitude reinstall gnome-applets gnome-applets-data (having issued /etc/init.d/gdm stop)
    • Reinstalling each of the individual applets using aptitude.
    • Removing python2.4 and aptitude reinstall-ing python2.5.
    • Deleting the applets when queried and then manually adding and configuring them again.

Despite all of these attempts, the same applets always crash on startup.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Beans

Re: Gnome panel applets crashing (OAFIID)

Hi,

Just a thought, can you check the startup order of the applets? (I am using XFCE so I am unsure of where you can find this with Gnome).

It sounds like the applets in question are trying to start before a certain service they require is started.

Try getting your applets to be the last items to start in your boot sequence and hopefully that will solve your issue.

I would post a link to a forum showing how to modify the startup order or programs, but the forum search is currently down.

Let us know how you get on!

Beans

The same in my situation. Glipper crashes aways, when I start my system. I changes settings using gnome-session-properties, but it didn't help.

Beans

I got the "MixerApplet" problem, and it seemed to coincide with loss of my sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your help so far!

Quote Originally Posted by denham2010 View Post
    Hi,

Just a thought, can you check the startup order of the applets? (I am using XFCE so I am unsure of where you can find this with Gnome).

It sounds like the applets in question are trying to start before a certain service they require is started.
    I found what seems to be the configuration dialogue you mentioned at System -> Prefs -> Sessions -> Current Session.

Quote Originally Posted by denham2010 View Post
    Try getting your applets to be the last items to start in your boot sequence and hopefully that will solve your issue.
    I also moved all the applets which I could locate in the list to a priority later than the default. (This included MixerApplet, StickyNotes, and ComputerTemp, but not GWeather, MultiLoad, or Keyboard.)

Unfortunately it turns out that this dialogue doesn't save the 'current session' options (which seems a bit strange as it has a 'startup order' spin box for each application, and an 'Apply' button!), so my applets priorities all reverted to the default 50 and crashed on startup again...

Edit: I tried it again, and this time the startup priorities were saved successfully. However the applets still crashed on login.
    Last edited by tamias; May 30th, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update: I have located the relevant lines in my .xsession-errors file:
    Code:
    ** (gnome-panel:6386): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1310: failed to get Bonobo/Control interface on applet OAFIID:GNOME_StickyNotesApplet:
    Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'
    (and the same for KeyboardApplet, MixerApplet, MuliLoadApplet, GWeatherApplet, ComputertempApplet). Still no closer to finding a solution though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update again: the panel applets now seem to be loading correctly.

I've changed only one thing in my setup: I increased the panel size from 23 to 25 pixels. At 25 pixels, the panel appears the same physical height as at 23 pixels, which implies that the panel cannot be sized below 25 pixels, even if the preferences allow. I wonder if this was causing an error?

I'll try to confirm this later, and if decreasing the panel size causes the errors to reoccur I'll try to file a bug report, as this behaviour was not observed with Ubuntu 7.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tomcio View Post
    The same in my situation. Glipper crashes aways, when I start my system. I changes settings using gnome-session-properties, but it didn't help.
    I have the same problem with Glipper. changing the panel size didn't matter, I still have the problem.
    Visit my blog

Beans

I found a solution for glipper here.
    Visit my blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same issue, with MixerApplet, GNOME_Panel_TrashApplet and FastUserSwitchApplet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast