Thread: Ubuntu 11.10, lice CD install, gibberish graphics with windows logo and background

Beans

[SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.10, live CD install, gibberish graphics, HP Elitebook

Hi!,
    I see the sticky thread, but I don't think my problem qualifies.

I downloaded the 11.10 .iso file and burnt it as an image to a CD.
    I'm booting the CD after a restart, the screen shows ubunto logo with a "progress bar" of 5 dots changing color. Then it disappears, then the screen goes black.

THEN, my screen is filled with gibberish, highly colorfull rectangles and lines. And between this gibberish, I can recognize my windows 7 background and a windows logo. Very strange.

My PC is a HP EliteBook 8540w, dual screens.

This also happened using wubi installer. I installed ubuntu with no errors in windows, then rebooted to try ubuntu, BANG same thing.
    Last edited by HSPalm; February 22nd, 2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Problem solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 11.10, lice CD install, gibberish graphics with windows logo and backgroun

Sounds like you need nomodeset to boot.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10, lice CD install, gibberish graphics with windows logo and backgroun

Thanks, yes, that worked! The solution was also posted on another forum I found, but I had to catch a train from work so I didn't have time to post the results here. How do I mark my thread as "solved"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In Thread Tools above the first post.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit