Thread: how do I update my motherboards bios?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

how do I update my motherboards bios?

hey I'm currently trying to update my motherboards bios I have no idea where to start and have searched around the internet etc but still haven't come up with a solid answer and don't wana risk just going for it as that would end my computer there and then if it failed. The other board I'm running is the PM8M3-V Micro-ATX.

pricetech is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: how do I update my motherboards bios?

The short answer is "very carefully if at all".

Seriously, start at the motherboard manufacturer's website. That's the ONLY place to find the BIOS update. You'll also find instructions for how to do the update. How thorough and detailed the instructions are depends on how well the motherboard is supported.

In most cases you'll have to have a DOS boot disk, unless the download is a disk image which will have its own boot files. You may have to create the disk from the image using an older windows computer. If you use a DOS disk, make it yourself on an old DOS or Windows computer running one of the DOS based versions. (95 or 98. I don't trust Me) Use the MSDOS "sys" command to create the boot disk and copy the BIOS update to that disk. The reason is you want to be sure that no memory management utilities or any drivers are loaded when you do your BIOS update.

Read all the instructions carefully. Follow them to the letter. If you are in doubt about what you are doing, then just don't do it.
    Last edited by pricetech; May 28th, 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

well my computer keeps crashing and I've been told that my bios needs updateing it I want it to stop so I don't really have a choice. either way is there any way to keep what my bios version is?

http://www.msicomputer.co.uk/index.p...t2_no=&cat3_no

would it be a good idea to use that live update tool instead of manually doing it and putting my system at risk?
    Last edited by peterbug; May 28th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It looks like the tools on the MSI site for updating your BIOS require Windows to run. I didn't see a standard download to execute in DOS or other environments. You may be out of luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

what if I put in a harddrive with windows xp on it and did that installation thing and then swaped hard drive again, would that work?

pricetech is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Yes, it should.

I hate it when mobo manufacturers force you to use a specific OS.

Just give me a disk image to download, then my OS doesn't matter.