Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting a free domain name for apache

Beans

Re: getting a free domain name for apache

I'm looking for a site that can get me a www.my-chosen- website-name.com type address which i can use with apache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, you do need to register with ICANN. You do this through a site like www.godaddy.com (personal favorite), and it does cost money.

Beans

i dont have any money

does anyone know a free one

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by pluckypigeon View Post
    i dont have any money

does anyone know a free one
    I don't think there is a way you can get a www.my-name.com website without paying for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    I don't think there is a way you can get a www.my-name.com website without paying for it.
    In most cases, you can't. But if you're willing to do a bit of work (like forum-posting), there are choices. Check out ddboard.com or similar (which is where I got inportb.com).

I was under the impression that you did not need a second-level domain. Why not choose a good third-level domain to start? (especially if you're experimenting)

To answer a previous question, you'd set an A record to your IP address. If you have your own nameserver(s) as well, set the NS record(s) instead.
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

aye, most hosting plans or domain servers are going to charge for a 'www' addy, or any prefix for that matter...

im a big fan of no-ip... thier free service is effective, and thier pay service is pretty good too... not sure how they rate on price compared to others domain registration services... but you could check em out

Beans

Question Re: getting a free domain name for apache

Quote Originally Posted by inportb View Post

I was under the impression that you did not need a second-level domain. Why not choose a good third-level domain to start? (especially if you're experimenting)
    What do you mean by second-level domain and third level-domain?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps this link will be of interest to you?

http://freedomain.co.nr/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want a domain name to host a webserver, you should probably use a free one from dyndns.org or afraid.org. With afraid.org, you don't need to change anything in apache. (This might apply to dyndns.org as well). You just have to run a script which sends afraid.org your current ip address and it will autoforward to your ip address. Its pretty easy to setup.

For paid domain names, eg, www.test.com, you will most definitely have to pay. You could also use freedomain.co.nr or dot.tk which are not really domain names but they will require a similar setup.

Beans

Firstly, it is highly recommened not to host a real website on your home computer no matter how secure you think it is. There are many free webhosts that let you host your own domain if you own one or use their subdomain like http://yourname.freehost.com/
    Coming to the point, although there are a couple of sites that let you register your domain for free, it takes a lot of work like posting on their forums or taking surveys. Domains are as cheap as 5 dollars these days. I'm sure somebody living in london can afford 3 or so pounds a year

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast