Thread: Securely Erase Console History/Browsing History/Recently Accessed etc

Beans

Exclamation Securely Erase Console History/Browsing History/Recently Accessed etc

I would like to try and set up a script to securely erase files relating to Console history, Browsing History (firefox), Recently Accsessed Programs/files/documents and swap file contents when a user is logged off or the workstation is shut down.

I suppose I am asking there a program akin to Evidence Eliminator for windows or something like that for linux? If not i would like to try making a bash script which uses the 'wipe' program to achieve the above.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for what directories or files need to be wiped?

Also interestingly enough i tried turning off the console history and it still saves alot of previously typed commands, has anyone else ran into this before?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Securely Erase Console History/Browsing History/Recently Accessed etc

Well, ext3 is a journaled filesystem so there might be pieces in a few places...

Have a look at this discussion with regard to safely erase: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797252

Beans

I actually installed ubuntu using ext2 partitions so without the journaling. Thanks for the link to the thread though.

I suppose what I was after was something like 'Where is the console history and recently accessed documents etc stored?' as in where are the directories/files I need to erase.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

dunno where there's overall some data... as I fully encrypt my system I'm not bothered with that anymore...

However the other thread mentioned has some clues about things to look for - if I remember correctly.