Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Banshee watch folders for new/deleted media files?

Beans

Re: Does Banshee watch folders for new/deleted media files?

Which features is Rythmbox lacking that Banshee provides?
    Really? It provides nothing significant I think. I've tried 1.3, and it looks bloated and really needs some more attention to its user interface and logic, there were many inconsistencies such as dividing album into group of albums with one track in each - banshee devs tried to explain this is not banshee fault, but track metadata - all other players suppose it's one album with many tracks.

Beans

I have tried the old Banshee and didn't really like it that much. Although just recently I installed Banshee 1.4.2 and I love it. I got rid of Rhythmbox and exaile after I installed it.

It even recognizes video files on my ipod and sets them aside in a video category just like iTunes, nothing has ever done that before.

Ipod managing part looks like iTunes also (good thing I think)

Yes I named my iPod eyePod..so what

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by priegog View Post
    If anyone still cares, Banshee 1.4 now does exactly this. Well, at least sometimes it seems to. Either way, now you have a menu option "rescan collection".

edit: Oops, forgot to mention. To have the latest banshee version (including this one) add the banshee ppa repo https://edge.launchpad.net/~banshee-team/+archive
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

if i am not mistaking new media files autoddetection will be part of V1.6 features

Beans

I'm using 1.6 Beta 2 in Karmic and it does not have the autoscan feature. A similar feature that is quite useful is to update the library when file metadata changes. Rhythmbox will do that for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

FYI Banshee does have this feature (extension)... it just doesn't seem to work.
    You can easily manually rescan your library. Not that hard, but not automatic and its a deal breaker for me.
    However, I do love how it scans beats per minute (bpm) and will make auto playlists based on the bpms of songs. Pretty rad.

ps- Im using the daily build PPA so I have 1.9, but this has been the same for a number of versions now.

Beans

It seems that this feature works if you add some new music files while banshee is running. If you add the files when banshee is not running, it won't see the changes when restarted. You'll have to rescan the library.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12