Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Is someone hacking me?

Beans

[SOLVED] Is someone hacking me?

Comodo firewall pro in vista business stopped 32 intrusion attempts to SYSTEM

screenshot is attached.

Is someone hacking me? What do I do?
    Last edited by Redrazor39; May 28th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.
    Yup, that's pretty much how this place works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Is someone hacking me?

The source IP addresses seem to be coming from within your own network. 192.168.x.x is usually reserved for home networks.
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't think so. The remote IP looks like it's part of your LAN (at least the ones one can see), and if someone is indeed cracking you from inside your network they're already in too deep.
    If you have a router then check the logs and see if there's been an external attack attempt and it's not some 'system' program looking for services in another pc.
    Wish I could prove I love you, but does that mean I have to walk on water?
    When we are older you'll understand it's enough when I say so, and maybe some things are that simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You have a Linksys router I suppose?
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

http://www.iss.net/security_center/a...39/default.htm

But that doesn't mean a thing. I have been packet sniffing my own network before and seen NetBIOS packets being broadcasted by the Windows machine.

No, I do not think you are under attack, unless someone has already gained access to another system on your network and are attempting from that system as a network proxy.

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

No. Those are just netBIOS browser elections.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Redrazor39 View Post
    Comodo firewall pro in vista business stopped 32 intrusion attempts to SYSTEM Is someone hacking me?
    You really answered your own question: Comodo *stopped* 32 intrusion attempts, so with the information you gave us, it looks like nobody is hacking you, because they can't get in.

But with less humour, the 192.168 looks like it's coming from your own network. Probably another computer sending useless packets to the network - believe me, they can do this even when turned off. One of mine does.

EDIT: Why do you have a personal firewall as well as one in your router? Is there a reason why you don't trust the fabric of your own network? If you suspect someone on your local network is doing this, you should check on everyone currently using your network.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Thanks. We just bought a new iMac and it may be looking for other comps on the network. I just wanted to make sure.

Idk if I have a firewall in my router. It's only WEP security and I just enter a pass and get in, so I thought Comodo firewall would be a wise choice for my Vista partition just in case.

I'm no expert on wireless security or anything, but thanks for all the help
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

WEP can be cracked within minutes. Use WPA for security.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

1) How do I get WPA instead of WEP

2) Can someone crack into it from anywhere online or does it have to be in range of the wireless network?
    but then I get again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast