Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with remote desktop solutions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Need help with remote desktop solutions

I am wanting to know the differences in usability for all the different remote desktop solutions there are for a linux system.

The ones I know of are ssh, vnc, and nx.

I have tried using freenx server, and I kind of got it working then it stopped after awhile. I kept getting error messages that the server had timed out.

My setup is this. I've got an Ubuntu 8.04 desktop which I want to be the host server. I've got a laptop that I want to be the client. They are both on my wireless network at home.

All I'm wanting to be able to do is view my desktop's desktop on my laptop. The laptop is running Xubuntu 8.04 with IceWM.

Obviously I am new to this so something that is also the simplest to configure would be the best option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Need help with remote desktop solutions

Also what are the disadvantages to each one of the different solutions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hey,
    Check out these links (2 methods)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto -- the forwarding X section(after you have regular ssh setup and working)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNCOverSSH

I use the method in the first link
    hitting CTRL+ALT+F1 and typing
    Code:
    xinit -e ssh -XCT yourusername@your.host gnome-session -- :1
    its pretty slow though over the internet...but more secure than just vnc

If you wanna go through just your LAN it'll be much quicker

Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you wanna go through just your LAN it'll be much quicker
    Do you mean using the way described in the first link or just doing VNC?

Beans
    Distro

I mean if you connect through your LAN(local area network)

If your laptop is on ur home network with your desktop it'll be quick

Say you go to australia and wanna connect to ur home computer in the U.S youd have to go through the internet which makes it slower...but not unbearable.

Im a newbie to the remote desktop stuff myself, so far I like the forwarding X method better, with vnc you have to be running a vncserver on the desktop and be logged in(i think). Forwarding X you dont need to log in on the desktop, as long as its on you're good

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So then this in effect "sharing" the desktop session, so that any programs that I brought up on the desktop at the comp will show up when I remote in with the laptop, right?

Yes I'm primarily using the laptop over my LAN.

So this same method can be used over the internet? Is it pretty secure? How would you do this over the internet with dealing with your router/firewall?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gyzer View Post
    So then this in effect "sharing" the desktop session, so that any programs that I brought up on the desktop at the comp will show up when I remote in with the laptop, right?

Yes I'm primarily using the laptop over my LAN.

So this same method can be used over the internet? Is it pretty secure? How would you do this over the internet with dealing with your router/firewall?
    Haha thats the thing, I actually made a thread in the forums with that problem. I can connect and everything but i cant control...so i see my desktop...can access all the files on it, but if i open up firefox on the desktop it wont show on the laptop when im connected. Still hoping someone will help me with that eventually

Im fairly certain ssh is one of the best ways to go in terms of security. You can even setup rsa/dsa keys

Yep that method works over the internet. You need to forward the right ports(22 for ssh and maybe one more??) on your router. I went over to dyndns.org and setup a network name to match my dynamic ip. so instead of bananas@111.111.23.4 i use bananas@mynetworkname.net

Try gettin just ssh to work so you can get a commandline to your desktop
    and then you can run that command to see the desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah I will try that. It seems alot more straight forward then using nx. I might eventually do VNC through SSH tunneling if I think ssh is too slow with forwarding the entire desktop.

So as of right now with using ssh and forwarding the entire desktop you are having the same problem that I was having with nx?

If firefox was opened on the desktop, I couldn't open it up on the laptop, if it was opened via the laptop, it wouldn't work on the desktop. Strangly though when pidgen was minimized to the task bar, it would show up on both with some minor problems.

xinit -e ssh -XCT yourusername@your.host gnome-session -- :1
    So that command is used on the console for the client or the console of the host computer?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gyzer View Post
    If firefox was opened on the desktop, I couldn't open it up on the laptop, if it was opened via the laptop, it wouldn't work on the desktop. Strangly though when pidgen was minimized to the task bar, it would show up on both with some minor problems.
    I dont think that was my problem. Everything worked on both normally, just the laptop couldnt control the desktop. Meaning if i move the mouse on my laptop when im connected you cant see it move on the desktop.

Yeah that command looks good to me, you need to switch to console with ctrl alt f1 on the client computer and put it in

Use ctrl alt f7 to switch back
    Last edited by RottenBananas; May 28th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Alright I can get ssh to work perfectly, but I cannot get the x session forwarding of the gnome-session to work. I get this error message:

Waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/x11/misc"
    refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing

and it doesn't get any further then that. I did make sure to turn on x session forwarding and I restarted the ssh-server after that so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast