Thread: What the **** is happening?!

Beans

What the **** is happening?!

Just recently, today, I noticed my processor usage spike. It stayed that way for a long time, so I restarted. The problem went away until now. I'm sitting at about 50% usage, with no programs saying they are taking any cpu. Basically, I should be idling at 0%

Somehow though, I'm sitting at 50-70% constant for the last 10 minutes. ps shows nothing abnormal, and I checked the system monitor, just in cse I was getting bad readings. I also checked my network usage, just in case I was getting a ping flood. (ping -f)

I can not for the life of me figure out what is wrong. It's as if I'm running F@H.... But I'm not.

EDIT
    Oh, yeah. I also see a connection on Firestarter to 78.148.127.191, form my ip, port 44778. It's nothing I have seen before, so it seems alright. Plus netcat shows nothing weird while nc -lvp 44778
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pap3r; May 28th, 2008 at 02:27 AM.

Beans

Re: What the **** is happening?!

run top from the command line and when it spikes see whats using the cpu. could be some index running.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

try running top to see what is using cpu. or install htop for a better interface. Sounds like an indexing program running...trackerd or beagle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

also try to remove the system monitor from the top panel momentarily. The system monitor can cause resource usage to be incorrect and can cause spikes as well. It is much more accurate to use top as mentioned above.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Thanks for the UBER fast replies. It's sudo...

EDIT

SO here's what I have tried. I have tried pkill sudo and all variants from my account. Then I opened a new session with ctrlaltf1 and logged in as root. I tried pkill sudo, pkill 4950, killall sudo killall 4950, and they all acted as it they had succeeded. None of them did. How am I supposed to pkill sudo?

EDIT again

Got it, with
    Code:
    su
    kill -9 4950
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pap3r; May 28th, 2008 at 02:50 AM.