Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installing ubuntu - partitioning issues

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: installing ubuntu - partitioning issues

Quote Originally Posted by SchitzoJoe View Post
    there is absolutely no OS running on it right now, just running a live session.

running an HP Pavilion with an AMD Athlon 2800+ XP processor ~2.1ghz, nVidia Geforce 6600GT card, 1 gig of ram, 110gb hard drive. some form of hp pavilion, can't remember the model number as of now though as i'm not on my home computer.

i'm going to try the non-live cd tomorrow night whenever i get home, i'll report back with progress.

p.s.: to get rid of my windows partition, i popped in my windows cd, deleted the windows partition, so i have like a 112gb unpartitioned space. is this a problem?
    Get www.killdisk.com and WIPE that drive completely clean and I bet the Ubuntu O/S will install perfectly.

I suspect that somehow your DBAN program is not working or actually running to completion. I have seen that problem with DBAN before. Killdisk is simpler but all you need to WIPE the drive of all contents.

Good luck.

P. S. - I just noticed one of your last posts. Make sure that you can see the drive in the BIOS. If you can NOT let us know and we will discuss further.
    Last edited by wpshooter; May 30th, 2008 at 02:02 AM.

Beans

When looking at the BIOS again, I was able to find the drive. Settings were on what you all had suggested.

Going to try killdisk in a bit.

Beans

Update:

Killdisk did not work. But I discovered something that could potentially help alot.

The "Unpartitioned" space of the disk is only 10mb. The other 111.8gb is still partitioned and labeled in the Killdisk Partition Manager thing as "Unknown Disk" or "Unknown Primary" or something like that, but there's nothing on it, and I don't know how to get rid of that partition back to an unpartitioned space. That partition is also the primary partition, and it's also called, in another menu, the "Logical C:" drive. The reason it's doing this, I believe, is because I unpartitioned it with Windows instead of Linux. Now it's formatted in NTFS or something, so Linux can't read it.

That's just my theory, I'm probably completely wrong.

But now that we've discovered this, any advice on where to go from here?
    Last edited by SchitzoJoe; May 30th, 2008 at 04:55 AM.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Update:

Killdisk did not work. But I discovered something that could potentially help alot.

The "Unpartitioned" space of the disk is only 10mb. The other 111.8gb is still partitioned and labeled in the Killdisk Partition Manager thing as "Unknown Disk" or "Unknown Primary" or something like that, but there's nothing on it, and I don't know how to get rid of that partition back to an unpartitioned space. That partition is also the primary partition, and it's also called, in another menu, the "Logical C:" drive. The reason it's doing this, I believe, is because I unpartitioned it with Windows instead of Linux. Now it's formatted in NTFS or something, so Linux can't read it.

That's just my theory, I'm probably completely wrong.

But now that we've discovered this, any advice on where to go from here?
    Point killdisk to the entire for the drive itself (not any one of the partitions) and then WIPE the ENTIRE drive. ALL partitions now gone.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

...But now that we've discovered this, any advice on where to go from here?
    Sure sounds like a hardware problem. Open up the case. Check the connector. Try another drive just to see if it get detected by GParted. See what kind of drive HP put in it. Go to the manufactures web site and get their diagnostic utility.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    Point killdisk to the entire for the drive itself (not any one of the partitions) and then WIPE the ENTIRE drive. ALL partitions now gone.

Good luck.
    All partitions were gone. But it still didn't work. Couldn't find the drive like originally.

And what do you mean, louieb, about trying another drive? And the HDD put in by HP was some "Ultra DMA 120gb" drive. Not sure, can't find the specs. And I don't know what diagnostic tool to use. -_-

This is blah.

Beans

AHA! I have a Western Digital WD1200 drive.

Searched some stuff, and someone said changing the jumper settings helped fix this. How do I change those? They said to change the Jumper settings from "Master, single drive" to "Cable Select" but I'm not sure how to do that.

EDIT: My stepdad knows how to change the settings to Cable Select, so I think we're in business. After we get it done, I'll let you know how it goes.

This trouble might soon be over.
    Last edited by SchitzoJoe; May 31st, 2008 at 01:27 AM.

Beans

It worked.

All I had to do was change my jumper settings on my HDD to "Cable Select," which took no longer than 5 minutes.

Thanks for everyone's help in this matter, never met a kinder, more helpful community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for letting us know. I didn't think about checking the jumper settings. Have fun.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12