Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2010 [help needed]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2010 [help needed]

August 2011: This thread badly needs to be updated/pruned. If you (yes, you!) would like to take over maintenance of this thread, please send me a PM. Members with active, helpful posting history preferred. Otherwise this thread will be unstickied at the end of the month.

This is not a topic for asking questions. (Unless you can of course provide an answer along with it.)

The FAQ

Compiz
    What is Compiz Fusion?
    Compiz is what is known as a "compositing manager." It enables your desktop to run faster than with traditional window managers, and allows you to be more productive. Compiz controls the effects you see on your desktop: Shadows, animations, "the cube," and a whole bundle of other fun effects.

How do I know if Compiz is enabled (How can I disable Compiz?)
    On Ubuntu 7.10 and up:
    Open System > Preferences > Appearance. Click on the Visual Effects tab. If Compiz and desktop effects are enabled, Normal, Extra, or Custom will be selected. If Compiz is disabled, None will be selected. To switch modes, simply click on another selection. Changes take effect immediately.

Why is my card "Blacklisted?")

What is a quicker way to enable/disable Compiz? - Gourgi
    Install the package fusion-icon and reload your session for a notification icon to switch between Compiz and the standard window manager.

How can I install Beryl? - FuturePilot
    Beryl was merged back into the Compiz project to create what is now know as Compiz Fusion. Beryl is no longer supported or developed meaning that if there is a bug, no one will fix it. Therefore it is recommended that you use Compiz Fusion which comes installed by default in Ubuntu.

How can I get Custom to appear in the Visual Effects dialog?
    Custom only appears if the package simple-ccsm is installed. When you install simple-ccsm, a new selection will be available in Visual Effects, which allows you to customize what effects are active on your desktop. You can also customize the effects from System > Preferences > Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager.

Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager doesn't provide enough options or effects. Are there more?
    Simple CompizConfig is just that, simple. If you are looking for more options, install the package compizconfig-settings-manager. Be sure to keep simple-ccsm installed so that the Custom option remains available in Visual Effects.

You can also access it from System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings or by opening a terminal (or Alt+F2) and typing ccsm.

I can't find some of the plugins mentioned in this FAQ. Where are they?
    As of recent Ubuntu releases, these are now available in compiz-fusion-plugins-extra, which is not installed by default.

Desktop Effects could not be enabled?
    See the following thread to find out why:Compiz-Check

Is compiz for Ubuntu and Kubuntu only? - aimpau
    Nope! Xubuntu has it too!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=934934

Just to add, if you want to use emerald for window decorations, don't forget to type in alt+f2:
    Code:
    emerald --replace
    The gtk-window-decorator cannot be controlled by Applications > Settings > Settings Manager > Window Manager since it only control xfwm4. However, you can load .cgwdtheme files through the terminal. I recommended emerald since it is really cool.

Where did my window borders go? - cc7gir
    This is a common mistake caused by disabling some plugins in CompizConfig Settings Manager. To fix, open the manager (System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager) and find the "Window Decorations" plugin. Check the box and you're all set.

How can I get the "cube" effect? - overdrank
    (Image) First, install compizconfig-settings-manager. Then, in System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, go to General Options, Desktop Size tab, and make sure Horizontal Virtual Size is set to 4. Go back to the main window, and enable the Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube plugins.
    You can "spin" the cube by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Right, or hold Ctrl+Alt and click and drag.

What is the "dodge" effect?

How do I beam up my windows to space? - aimpau
    Capt. Picard: Prepare to beam up.
    Data: Beaming up in 6 nanoseconds.

Press alt+f2 and type in
    Code:
    ccsm
    (Alternatively, go to System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings in GNOME)

Go to Animations and on the close animation tab, click on the top animation (by default, that would be Glide 2) and press edit. Look for Beam, click ok and close. That's it! Enjoy

What are some other keyboard shortcuts? - wolfen69

How do I install a Compiz plugin from git? - AstalaVista

What is Emerald? - _DD_
    Emerald is a replacement window decorator which supports many more effects than gtk-window-decorator, GNOME's built-in window decorator.

How do I install and enable Emerald?
    Install the emerald package from Synaptic.
    The package emerald-themes provides some themes to use in 8.04, but it is currently missing from the repositories. Themes must be installed manually for the time being.

To enable Emerald on login, go to System > Preferences > Sessions. Click the Add button, and type in Emerald for Name and emerald --replace for Command. Click OK and close the Sessions window. The next time you sign in, Emerald will be running.

Themes
    Where can I download additional themes for my desktop?
    Themes for Ubuntu (GNOME) can be found at:

Themes for Kubuntu can be found at:

How can I install a custom cursor theme? - Armed Nuke

Other
    What is the Mac-like dock I see in some screenshots?
    The dock is known as Avant Window Navigator. Instructions on how to install and configure it are available here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363

Another dock available is Cairo-dock: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=878603

How do I get desktop widgets? - smartboyathome
    There are several programs which allow you to put widgets on the desktop. The most popular is a program called Screenlets. To install it, open up System > Preferences > Synaptic Package Manager, and search for "screenlets". Install the "screenlets" package that comes up by double clicking on it and clicking apply on the top bar. Once it is installed, go to Applications > Accessories > Screenlets (or System > Preferences > Screenlets) and enable the screenlets that you want.

I really love these Screenlets, are there more? - Gourgi
    Of course! You can download screenlets either from the 3rd party Screenlets Repository or from the Gnome-look Screenlets section.

My Screenlets package is outdated, how can I get an up to date package? - Gourgi
    Add these to your sources in System > Administration > Software Sources; Third Party Software; Add.
    Gutsy:
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gilir/ubuntu gutsy main universe
    Hardy
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gilir/ubuntu hardy main universe
    See http://screenlets.org/index.php/Download for additional sources.

How can I set up different wallpapers for each virtual desktop, with Conky, and get rid of GNOME panels?

Useful Links

Contributing
    Attention forum members:

Want to have a chance to contribute to "The Great FAQ of Desktop Effects?" Then join me in the planning of one of the biggest events to hit this forum (well, stickies anyway). We're going to build a nice big topic to put right at the top of the forum page to hang out with the "Blacklisted?" topic. Anyone and everyone is welcome to contribute.

Interested? Great! Here's what you need to do:
    Find a question about Compiz, Desktop Effects, Theming, or anything related that is fairly frequently asked, even if it may seem obvious. It can even be one of the questions above that is marked "to be written." Post your question as a reply to this thread in a format similar to:

Why doesn't Compiz start?
    Compiz usually won't start for the following reasons...
    blah blah blah blah
    or
    Be sure to either include a link to the topic with the answer or provide the answer directly. The questions and answers will be edited into the main post (this one). I'll probably edit your questions and answers to fit them in with the rest of the questions, but the idea will remain the same.
    Last edited by jpeddicord; August 16th, 2011 at 02:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2008

How can I get the cube

You can use this command in the terminal to install the CCSM
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Or use synaptic package manager located under system, administration.
    Then you can use CCSM, it will be located under system,preference. Choose the general options , desktop size set the horizontal virtual size to 4. Also ensure that the desktop cube and rotate cube are also checked.
    Last edited by overdrank; June 15th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Beans

How do I get desktop widgets?
    There are several programs which allow you to put widgets on the desktop. The most popular is a program called Screenlets. To install it, open up System > Preferences > Synaptic Package Manager, and search for "screenlets". Install the "screenlets" package that comes up my double clicking on it and clicking apply on the top bar. Once it is installed, go to Applications > Accessories > Screenlets and enable the screenlets that you want.

(P.S. Do you want the people to use the packages in the repo? The screenlets package there is quite old, and I would recommend the package from getdeb.net, which I use now.)
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    How do I get desktop widgets?
    There are several programs which allow you to put widgets on the desktop. The most popular is a program called Screenlets. To install it, open up System > Preferences > Synaptic Package Manager, and search for "screenlets". Install the "screenlets" package that comes up my double clicking on it and clicking apply on the top bar. Once it is installed, go to Applications > Accessories > Screenlets and enable the screenlets that you want.
    Added. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    (P.S. Do you want the people to use the packages in the repo? The screenlets package there is quite old, and I would recommend the package from getdeb.net, which I use now.)
    Yeah, we should probably stick to the repositories. The repo-available packages are much easier to install than telling a user to download a .deb that needs updated upon new releases. Packages in the repository can also be supported better in case of a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

How can I install Beryl?
    Beryl was merged back into the Compiz project to create what is now know as Compiz Fusion. Beryl is no longer supported or developed meaning that if there is a bug, no one will fix it. Therefore it is recommended that you use Compiz Fusion which comes installed by default in Ubuntu.

(P.S. I think Beryl should be removed from the description of this forum for the above reason )
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How do I install <insert name> compiz plugin (from git)?

Gutsy
    Hardy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Need something do do with Emerald...

What is Emerald?
    Emerald is a replacement window decorator which supports many more effects than Metacity, Gnome's built-in window manager.

How do I install and enable Emerald?
    In the terminal type...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    ...blah blah

Also something about...
    Code:
    emerald --replace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What's an easy to follow guide to setting up Compiz Fusion in 8.04?

http://forlong.blogage.de/article/20...4-Hardy-Heron#

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    What's an easy to follow guide to setting up Compiz Fusion in 8.04?

http://forlong.blogage.de/article/20...4-Hardy-Heron#
    Not necessairily a FAQ, but a good guide nonetheless. I've added it to a new Links section.

Beans

Exclamation Re: The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2008

Thought I'd post this bit of a reminder for some of us, I mean all the noobs....

If you have Ubuntu Tweak controlling some aspects of your desktop it may or may not interfere with those cool Compiz extras. Obviously you would shut off the UT stuff, get your Compiz right, then if you must maybe then you could go back and tweak with UT.

I went ahead and posted this over there at the Compiz Forums as well.

yeah, i'm guilty lol

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast