Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2010 [help needed]

Beans

Re: The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2009

I just want to know what is the difference between Compiz and Compiz Fusion? Or they're just the same?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Damn, i never know you could do all that with ubuntu. I'm willing to bet that would cost a ton of money to get all that in windows (I feel ashamed that i did fork some cash to stardock).

I'd like to know how to display all my desktops in Cube/switcher? The site had a shot of it and i forgot where it was.

(I've been using ubuntu for less than a day and i'm loving it. minus the fact i may need a small Install for Windows XP)
    "The invention of time travel may in the future save humanity, by teaching the world to avoid the tragic mistakes of the past."
    - Dr. Eliot Sinclair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is it called where you don't have a menu bar on the screen, but you can click somewhere on the desktop and have the menu appear at your cursor?

I have seen loads of screenshots of this in action, but I don't know what it is called so I can't search for it!

Here is an example: http://www.fluxbox.org/screenshots/s...enshot_zan.png

This is obviously running fluxbox (which I have tried, thought was cool, but don't have the energy to start configuring everything at this stage!)

Basically, I guess: Can I get the floaty menu thing on Gnome, instead of having to use fluxbox or another WM/DE?
    Nomadic linux user.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Her Ghost View Post
    What is it called where you don't have a menu bar on the screen, but you can click somewhere on the desktop and have the menu appear at your cursor?

I have seen loads of screenshots of this in action, but I don't know what it is called so I can't search for it!

Here is an example: http://www.fluxbox.org/screenshots/s...enshot_zan.png

This is obviously running fluxbox (which I have tried, thought was cool, but don't have the energy to start configuring everything at this stage!)

Basically, I guess: Can I get the floaty menu thing on Gnome, instead of having to use fluxbox or another WM/DE?
    I don't think there is a right click menu in gnome but there is a keyboard shortcut "show the panel's main menu" which will show the menu at the cursor when there is no menu applet on the panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you so much if it wasn't for you i would've just have no borders!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i have everything installed correct. I am running compiz without any problems but cairo dock bacground is not transaparent. There is a black box. How can i make it transparent ?

*-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Radeon 9100 IGP
    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
    physical id: 5
    bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: agp agp-3.0 pm bus_master vga_palette cap_list
    configuration: latency=64 mingnt=8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm seeing users with their entire panel/bar transparent to some extent...how do ya'll do that?

Btw the system monitor screenless as a wonderful thing to have when i want to see how my system is doing on the fly. Just minimize the window and look.
    "The invention of time travel may in the future save humanity, by teaching the world to avoid the tragic mistakes of the past."
    - Dr. Eliot Sinclair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2009

Please refer
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=891922&page=2

I have set the command 'main menu' under button binding as shift+button3. If there is no launcher for main menu in any panels, the main menu will pop up at the mouse cursor.

If your desktop is not drawn by nautilus so that you can have different wallpapers in each desktop. Then the button click will trigger main menu only if clicked on either panels.

Otherwise - your desktop is drawn by nautilus - the button click will trigger main menu at anywhere in the screen [over launchers, panels, open windows, terminals etc]
    How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

thank you! that's exactly what I wanted!

(sorry for the delay in responding!)
    Nomadic linux user.

Beans

Re: The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2008

my desktop became uber cool
    I booted off windows years ago..
    if these visual effects run on windows ..the processor will burn !!

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast