Thread: Yanff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yanff

Yet Another New Forum Feature!

The forum listings now show the tags of threads. I think that function very promising.

Thank you for all that work put into improving our place.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Yanff

I agree. It must have been done to encourage/remind people to use tags when creating their own posts.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I must also add my thanks to ubuntu-geek, who came up with the idea and implementation. It's so much more useful to skim down the thread list and get a quick glimpse of what a thread is about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    Yet Another New Forum Feature!

The forum listings now show the tags of threads. I think that function very promising.

Thank you for all that work put into improving our place.
    Actually, there were there before but you had to hover over the tiny and quiet icon of the tags. This new presentation is a big improvement.

It is a great way to have tags (except it also presents the nasty ones as well, so report them if you see them!)

forestpixie Guest

I will stick my oar in here and say that I think they are more useful than having [ubuntu][kubuntu] et al at the beginning of the thread title

But as with all my opinions - that's my opinion, I'm sure yours are different,

I will though agree that ubuntu-geek, whoever he/she is deserves all the plaudits for the hard work (I assume) over the last weeks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    I will stick my oar in here and say that I think they are more useful than having [ubuntu][kubuntu] et al at the beginning of the thread title
    I think so too.

forestpixie Guest

Thought it was just me, I've half trained my eyes not to see it - then I remember later when I'm giving a
    Code:
    gksudo gedit
    instead of kdesu... and go and look - then I think - "bet they just put that cos it's the first option"

Beans

I do not find the display of tags to be useful. First we had mouseovers that hide thread titles, then we got thread prefixes, and now we have tags that further crowd an already busy forum screen.

As an alternative, the moderators could require that forum members use accurate thread titles and could change thread titles when necessary. For example, how many times have we seen a thread entitled 'I really need help.' Or, closer to home, the meaning of Yanff is confusing and becomes clear only by reading the body of the first posting of this thread.

I acknowledge that most forum members seem to like mouseovers, thread prefixes, and tags. I just wanted to voice my opinion that these new forum features are distracting to some of us.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by noynac View Post
    As an alternative, the moderators could require that forum members use accurate thread titles and could change thread titles when necessary. For example, how many times have we seen a thread entitled 'I really need help.' Or, closer to home, the meaning of Yanff is confusing and becomes clear only by reading the body of the first posting of this thread.
    We could. We could also require that all posts be formatted in a readable manner. We could ban anyone who uses non descriptive titles, and require this to be read and followed by everyone: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Of course, this all goes against the purpose and philosophy of the forum