Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 and Ext4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Windows 7 and Ext4.

How do you make Windows 7 see my Linux partition in it. I want to run some mp3s and avi's from Windows 7.

Thanks.
    "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts."

Buddha The Dhammapada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Windows 7 and Ext4.

You don't.

There is a driver that will allow Windows to work with ext2 partitions (ext3 can be mounted as ext2 so you can access ext3 partitions too).

Ext4 CAN be used as ext3 (which should allow the ext2 drivers to work with it) but you had to have certain features turned off from the start if I remember correctly.

Here is the link to one of the tools that allow access to ext2/3.
    http://www.fs-driver.org/

There are a few others as well.
    Last edited by jerome1232; May 16th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

If you have files that you would like to be accessible from both Windows and Linux, you generally store them on an NTFS or FAT partition.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

I've been fighting this one for a while now... finally found something that works.

http://ext2read.blogspot.com/2010/04...-lvm2-and.html

Right click executable, compatibility, select always run as administrator. Read only access, allows you to right click a directory and save as on a windows partition.

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    You don't.
    Here is the link to one of the tools that allow access to ext2/3.
    http://www.fs-driver.org/
    fs-driver will ask you to format the partition because it's incompatible with ext4.
    Last edited by nebulon5; May 19th, 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would just transfer the files you need to the Windows partition from Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryan858 View Post
    I would just transfer the files you need to the Windows partition from Linux.
    Unless you're serving up streaming video to your wife's computer who will yell at you, should your PC go offline for 5 minutes.

Honestly, I didn't mind the challenge of making it work through Windows, because it's irritating to just do it the way all the Linuxians want me to do it. If I want to access ext4 data from Windows 7 64-bit, then that's what is going to happen.

Wish I was a developer, this ext4 driver would be a done deal. Wish I was a little bit taller, wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good I would call her, wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a six fo Impala.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nebulon5 View Post
    Unless you're serving up streaming video to your wife's computer who will yell at you, should your PC go offline for 5 minutes.
    file systems are irrelevant over the network. at that point, it is all about network protocols.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

beware of malicious software you get from certain sites, they could be trojans or malware designed to provide a direct link from your computer to theirs so that they may steal your sensitive data without you knowing it.

only install software from reputable sites! this is true for any OS.
    If Ubuntu had 31 flavors then we could call it Baskin' Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    file systems are irrelevant over the network. at that point, it is all about network protocols.
    puh puh puh pirateghost. Missed the point. Not sharing data from drive partitioned to ext4, just sharing data over local network in general. Rebooting would interrupt file transfer/streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by jmate24 View Post
    only install software from reputable sites! this is true for any OS.
    I'm good man, believe ext2explore is legit. And edit your sig man, "SEREOUS" ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nebulon5 View Post
    puh puh puh pirateghost. Missed the point. Not sharing data from drive partitioned to ext4, just sharing data over local network in general. Rebooting would interrupt file transfer/streaming.
    why would you want to reboot though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast