Thread: Terrible screen lag

Beans

Terrible screen lag

Hey there! I'm on a desktop PC using
    Pentium 4 3GHz HT
    1.5 GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200 - 128 MB

When... i'm not sure when... maybe when I demand too much my computer (firefox with many tabs, same with Quanta, maybe VirtualBox opened, etc...) it all lags, I mean the graphics...

the Expose mode takes 3 seconds to appear, then 3 seconds to return to normal state (no animation in the middle). AWN dock takes forever to realize I have the cursor on it, right click, wait a while...

I hear a very high pitch sound coming from my PC every time, similar to one I hear when selecting a text... or a gif is animating... or moving the cursor over a menu, stuff like that :S I started hearing this (and having such problem) since I've upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy

(Is it upgrade or downgrade? I have tons of problems on Hardy, while Gutsy just worked...)

All visual effects lag until i, thanks to a miracle, manage to save, close everything i have open and restart Ubuntu.

compiz --replace takes forever in such situations, and doesnt do the trick :S I can see the Xorg process using 80% of one of the two virtual CPUs (because of the P4 HT, physically it's just one).

Heeelp T_T

Started on Mandrake, migrated to Debian, switched to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy Gibbon, downgraded to Hardy Heron.

Beans

Re: Terrible screen lag

is my video card dying? T_T

Started on Mandrake, migrated to Debian, switched to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, upgraded to Gutsy Gibbon, downgraded to Hardy Heron.