Thread: [SOLVED] flash video using unreasonable amounts of processing power

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] flash video using unreasonable amounts of processing power

Ok so upon watching youtube today while watching the system monitor i noticed that it was staying at around 90%-100% when running flash videos. Checked on other sites also.

However, video on the pc itself, like a .avi played in vlc, does not bring it up to this level. This worries me only because it brings my computer up about 10 degrees when playing and uses up power from other things.

Is this high amount of processing normal?

If it matters, i have an nvidia geforce 7400, using nvidia-glx-new. And i got the new kernel 2.6.24-17 today. dunno if that makes a difference
    friends don't let friends use windows.

installed ubuntu on 7 computers and going up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: flash video using unreasonable amounts of processing power

Yes, it's normal. Adobe Flash is horrible on the CPU (pretty light on the GPU though...) on linux. Nothing can really be done about it until a viable Adobe Flash alternative is available (gnash is getting there but, not quite there).

Note: Depending on the size of your gnome-system-monitor window, you may be exasperating the problem simply by having the monitor up. See the sticky post at the top of this sub-forum.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Adobe flash uses a lot of CPU but not 100 % unless you have a really old and slow CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

not 100% constantly, but it spikes up there.
    and the system monitor is just the little icon you can put on the gnome taskbar at the top. is this consuming power too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No, the applet doesn't use a noticeable amount of CPU. It's double clicking it and bringing up the more detailed display that uses large amounts of CPU (when the window is large, specifically maximized (though, I haven't updated this week so maybe it's fixed (it's been gradually getting better)). Flash isn't multi-threaded so, based on the fact that you are talking about ~100% of the CPU, I'm going to assuming you are using an older processor because on multi-core systems, it just uses a single core. This behavior is unfortunate but normal.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Don't worry, it is normal. Not saying it isn't annoying though. As vor said, Gnash is getting there, be patient.

and the system monitor is just the little icon you can put on the gnome taskbar at the top. is this consuming power too?
    It shouldn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

alright thanks. and no no, the icon puts the two processors together. plus i think i was doing other stuff. it just worried me.