Thread: wlan0 not showing up

Beans

wlan0 not showing up

I have a USB wireless adapter that came with a CD with drivers on it. The drivers are for Windows XP.

Upon googling, I learn about ndiswrapper and how to get the drivers up and running on my Linux box.

So, I use ndiswrapper and follow a couple of guides.

ndiswrapper -i thedriver.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    (blah blah, everything's working ok. the driver is installed and the hardware is detected)
    ndiswrapper -m
    modprobe ndiswrapper

no errors are returned on any of these. everything seems to be going fine until:
    iwconfig

it returns eth0 and a local loopback and says to me that they aren't wireless. Upon rebooting and a couple of changes here and there in some config files, the problem still persists. Am I forgetting something? Did I mess something up without knowing about it? Every single guide that I read basically goes from "modprobe ndiswrapper" and then straight into setting up wlan0 for WEP/WPA access OR the guide just ends without getting into encryption. Not a single one that I've found has any troubleshooting on "what happens if wlan0 doesn't even show up?"

So, that's why I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: wlan0 not showing up

@ayq

It seems that the wlan0 device isn't getting up at start up, but is it being probed? What does happen when you type

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    at terminal?

If something like 'wlan0' or similar is showed up so you just need to get the device up with

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    and so set it up using network-manager applet or whatever. Anyway, is not your adapter supported natively by Linux? What's the output from the following command (at terminal):

Code:
    lsusb
    Danpos.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danpos View Post
    @ayq

It seems that the wlan0 device isn't getting up at start up, but is it being probed? What does happen when you type

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    at terminal?

If something like 'wlan0' or similar is showed up so you just need to get the device up with

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    and so set it up using network-manager applet or whatever. Anyway, is not your adapter supported natively by Linux? What's the output from the following command (at terminal):

Code:
    lsusb
    Danpos.
    ifconfig -a shows eth0 and lo

lsusb shows a bunch of entries, most of which are all 0s except for my wireless adapter:
    Bus 1 Device 2: 1915:2233
    Bus 001 Device 002: 1915:2233

so I take it it's not recognized?
    Last edited by ayq; May 27th, 2008 at 04:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    iwconfig....
    Quote Originally Posted by ayq
    no errors are returned on any of these. everything seems to be going fine until:
    iwconfig

it returns eth0 and a local loopback and says to me that they aren't wireless.

Beans
    Distro

Check the contents of the /etc/iftab file and make sure that no other device has the wlan0 driver name reserved for it:

user@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/iftab

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    Check the contents of the /etc/iftab file and make sure that no other device has the wlan0 driver name reserved for it:

user@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/iftab
    No such file.

I didn't mention that I'm not running Ubuntu (if it's Ubuntu specific). I'm actually running back|track 3.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, as of 7.10 use this file. Change the entries of the appropriate macs

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ayq View Post
    No such file.

I didn't mention that I'm not running Ubuntu (if it's Ubuntu specific). I'm actually running back|track 3.
    I see. I had to comment out a device that was persistent to my device in order for it to work. Sorry about the non help, maybe this will give you something more to look for.

Beans

I'm having the same problem I think.

Iwconfig:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

lsub:
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 04f2:b008 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

I've tried a bunch of guides, and I get to the same point as the poster, where wlan0 should be showing up but isn't.