Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: wlan0 not showing up

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    6

    wlan0 not showing up

    I have a USB wireless adapter that came with a CD with drivers on it. The drivers are for Windows XP.

    Upon googling, I learn about ndiswrapper and how to get the drivers up and running on my Linux box.

    So, I use ndiswrapper and follow a couple of guides.

    ndiswrapper -i thedriver.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    (blah blah, everything's working ok. the driver is installed and the hardware is detected)
    ndiswrapper -m
    modprobe ndiswrapper

    no errors are returned on any of these. everything seems to be going fine until:
    iwconfig

    it returns eth0 and a local loopback and says to me that they aren't wireless. Upon rebooting and a couple of changes here and there in some config files, the problem still persists. Am I forgetting something? Did I mess something up without knowing about it? Every single guide that I read basically goes from "modprobe ndiswrapper" and then straight into setting up wlan0 for WEP/WPA access OR the guide just ends without getting into encryption. Not a single one that I've found has any troubleshooting on "what happens if wlan0 doesn't even show up?"

    So, that's why I thought I'd ask here.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    20

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    @ayq

    It seems that the wlan0 device isn't getting up at start up, but is it being probed? What does happen when you type

    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    at terminal?

    If something like 'wlan0' or similar is showed up so you just need to get the device up with

    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    and so set it up using network-manager applet or whatever. Anyway, is not your adapter supported natively by Linux? What's the output from the following command (at terminal):

    Code:
    lsusb
    Danpos.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    6

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    Quote Originally Posted by danpos View Post
    @ayq

    It seems that the wlan0 device isn't getting up at start up, but is it being probed? What does happen when you type

    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    at terminal?

    If something like 'wlan0' or similar is showed up so you just need to get the device up with

    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    and so set it up using network-manager applet or whatever. Anyway, is not your adapter supported natively by Linux? What's the output from the following command (at terminal):

    Code:
    lsusb
    Danpos.
    ifconfig -a shows eth0 and lo

    lsusb shows a bunch of entries, most of which are all 0s except for my wireless adapter:
    Bus 1 Device 2: 1915:2233
    Bus 001 Device 002: 1915:2233

    so I take it it's not recognized?
    Last edited by ayq; May 27th, 2008 at 04:08 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    6

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    iwconfig....
    Quote Originally Posted by ayq
    no errors are returned on any of these. everything seems to be going fine until:
    iwconfig

    it returns eth0 and a local loopback and says to me that they aren't wireless.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    Check the contents of the /etc/iftab file and make sure that no other device has the wlan0 driver name reserved for it:

    user@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/iftab

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    6

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    Check the contents of the /etc/iftab file and make sure that no other device has the wlan0 driver name reserved for it:

    user@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/iftab
    No such file.

    I didn't mention that I'm not running Ubuntu (if it's Ubuntu specific). I'm actually running back|track 3.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    Sorry, as of 7.10 use this file. Change the entries of the appropriate macs

    /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    Quote Originally Posted by ayq View Post
    No such file.

    I didn't mention that I'm not running Ubuntu (if it's Ubuntu specific). I'm actually running back|track 3.
    I see. I had to comment out a device that was persistent to my device in order for it to work. Sorry about the non help, maybe this will give you something more to look for.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    9

    Re: wlan0 not showing up

    I'm having the same problem I think.

    Iwconfig:
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    lsub:
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 04f2:b008 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd



    I've tried a bunch of guides, and I get to the same point as the poster, where wlan0 should be showing up but isn't.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •