Thread: Transferring iTunes Library between Windows and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Transferring iTunes Library between Windows and Ubuntu

Hi!

I am currently a new user to Ubuntu, and have just started to configure the system for what I want it to do. This includes playing music off my Windows partition.

I have iTunes on my XP, and wish to be able to play those files in Ubuntu. After being given some useful advice, I was led to a high-quality player called Amarok, which I now intend to use. Now here is my problem; once all my files are converted from an AAC format, to something like mp3, I need to import the library into Amarok, i.e. not copying the same files and using them in the same library, but instead only having one copy of a file and using it in both libraries. (I hope that makes sense :S)

What is the best way of doing this rather momentous task (for me) as I have a a large number of songs, and adding each file manually would simply take too long. I am sure that many users have imported their library in a similar fashion, and have useful advice to offer me.

If I save my ID3 tags in iTunes to individual files, then shall I be able to read the metadata in Amarok - such as last played, number played, date added to iTunes library etc...? Assuming that this is true, then I shall be able to save the metadata again in Amarok, where it will then be readable in iTunes, or is asking too much of a system/

Hopefully in the future I will be able to add individual songs the partition, and then add songs to each library individually (as I still need both players). Other users have also seem to have done this, reading these forums, and it seems like a task I am up to. Thats the goal for my system!

Many thanks!
    Specs: AMD Sempron 3000 1.8GHz x86 64-bit
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Transferring iTunes Library between Windows and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ApUUbunU View Post
    once all my files are converted from an AAC format, to something like mp3, I need to import the library into Amarok,

What is the best way of doing this rather momentous task (for me) as I have a a large number of songs, and adding each file manually would simply take too long. I am sure that many users have imported their library in a similar fashion, and have useful advice to offer me.

If I save my ID3 tags in iTunes to individual files, then shall I be able to read the metadata in Amarok - such as last played, number played, date added to iTunes library etc...?
    My metadata and comments came out garbled, but it gets most of the basic tab info right (album/trackname, bitrate, year etc)

you shouldn't have to convert them to mp3 (unless they're itunes store downloads/drm). amarok can read them (-xine engine)

all you need to do is scan your folders:

amarok>settings>configure amarok>collection>check the appropriate boxes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Transferring iTunes Library between Windows and Ubuntu

Great, that sounds like it shall work. Much eaiser (it seems) than it would be.
    I'll see how that goes, and I'll post any progress here.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Specs: AMD Sempron 3000 1.8GHz x86 64-bit
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html