Thread: unable to mount samba network shares

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Question unable to mount samba network shares

A problem I've had before, but was able to resolve.
    Now after a fresh install of 8.04 I am able to mount network shares via fstab my work around via a start up script doesn't work either, but if I run the commands from the command line as root they work, but as "my" user I get permission denied.
    Be going through the dmsg log to see if I can see any smbfs errors, but can't find any, I can not be sure that its trying to load it at all.
    Lines in question look like
    //192.168.1.1/www /home/leona/web smbfs username=user,password=pass,uid=leona,gid=leona,fm ask=777,dmask=777 0 0
    This should work, (it used to) so can you tell me what is up?

Thanks.
    Kind Regards, Leona

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: unable to mount samba network shares

Smbfs has been switched to cifs for Hardy. The formats are slightly different. Try this:

Code:
    //192.168.1.1/www /home/leona/web cifs username=user,password=pass,uid=leona,gid=leona,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Check it with sudo mount -a. It will give you error messages that way if there are any.

You might also need to add
    Code:
    ,nounix
    at the end of the options list. Try it without first. It doesn't seem necessary for samba shares to me, but I think it's needed now for some windows shares.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: unable to mount samba network shares

Thank you for replying so quickly to my distress call That worked a treat, all my shares are working how they should now, I obviously must have missed that change.
    Thanks again.
    Kind Regards, Leona