Thread: Fix IP on wireless?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Static IP on wireless?

I would like to know how to configure my wireless to have always the same ip. I used the network manager and tried to change the ip from dhcp to a fixed IP inside the wifi router range. The ip I want is something 192.168.10.2. The range for the dsl router is 192,168.1.1 and wifi is 192.168.10.1.

when I tried the change, i couldn't connect.I have restarted the laptop and the 2 routers and the problem goes on.
    Last edited by rlameiro; May 26th, 2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: wrong

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Static IP on wireless?

Ccheck your router configuration to see if it supports dhcp reservations. That way the client can be set to dhcp, yet always receive the same ip address from the router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Fix IP on wireless?

Just to help me understand this, why do you need a static IP rather than have DHCP assign an address??

Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I need it to allow ports for emule/torrent software

Beans

once you configure it to 192.168.10.2 .. go to the terminal and type ping 192.168.10.1 and post output here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

check your router configuration to see if it supports dhcp reservations. That way the client can be set to dhcp, yet always receive the same ip address from the router.
    You can usually get into your routers configuration settings via your web browser. Your user manual should give you the routers address to type into your browser menu. If you haven't got the user manual post the make and model back here for us to help you out.

once you configure it to 192.168.10.2 .. go to the terminal and type ping 192.168.10.1 and post output here
    Check the output to
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ahead of pinging to make sure you have the address how you want it and then
    Code:
    ping -c4 <IP address>
    to stop it scrolling off the page.
    Last edited by mapes12; May 27th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com