Thread: Reinstalling essential Ubuntu packages

Beans

Reinstalling essential Ubuntu packages

I'm on Hardy.

In the process of uninstalling apache2 (used sudo apt-get purge), I somehow stumbled upon a way of uninstalling basically everything. It came up with a "use apt-get autoremove" message and then, quickly, went through a list of packages it was going to remove. They included amarok, compiz, python, eclipse just to name a small fraction. Basically a bunch of packages I wanted to keep because I use them.

Luckily, before it was too late I managed to stop a lot of them, but a lot were still purged. Unfortunately this included whatever it is which makes me able to get on the net, and probably a few more important things. So now, I can't update from any of the repos I have installed to get back the stuff I removed by accident.

I've inserted the Ubuntu CD, is there a particular way I can basically just reinstall everything that was installed when I first put that CD in to install Ubuntu the first time, without losing all my files and packages?

EDIT: I've just remembered, it uninstalled "ubuntu-desktop" - now, I've tried reinstalling that, but it just says it can't find it. Surely this package is on the CD?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dan++; May 26th, 2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Didn't tell me to use update, but autoremove.`