Thread: How do I get to my old files?

Beans

How do I get to my old files?

I'm sorry if this question was asked in another post, but I'm new to Ubuntu and totally clueless. I need a really dumbed-down answer; I couldn't even tell if other related post were really answers to my questions because I'm so unfamiliar with this system and the terminology.

I just installed Ubuntu using Wubi. However, I also still have Windows XP on my computer. I need to know what that I had on XP I can still access with Ubuntu. Right now, I can get to nothing.

As I said, I really know next to nothing about this system, so the more simplistic the response, the better.

Beans

Re: How do I get to my old files?

Hi there,

well, I have no clue about Wubi, but I guess it just helps you install ubuntu, so you have a regular ubuntu installation and you dual-boot with XP.

You need to know if you can access your files tha lay in your window disk/partition when you open Ubuntu?

Sorry If I didn't understand, but is this what you ask?

If that is the case, the answer is yes. You should have access to any other
    disk or partition from your Ubuntu.

If this is not your problem, can you be a little more specific?

Beans

Well, as i have no clue how wubi works, only how standard installations work, I can only venture that the disk might be accessed via Places>{media}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are trying to see your XP files, go to the top left of your Ubuntu toolbar and click "places" then go to your home folder. Then go down to "computer". You should have some options there. Try checking for "file system" or something else that might be your other drive. I cant recall the name youre looking for anymore, sorry. Some sort of drive with info on it. Once you get in, it should look like your XP drive with all your data.

Good luck!

Beans

I was having problems installing Ubuntu with the live disk, particularly with partitioning, so I used Wubi, which installed it from .exe file through windows.

So far, I haven't even seen any of my old files while in Ubuntu, and really don't know where I should even be looking.

Beans

Thanks, I found it in the "computer" section under the "host" folder.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lockettowl View Post
    I was having problems installing Ubuntu with the live disk, particularly with partitioning, so I used Wubi, which installed it from .exe file through windows.

So far, I haven't even seen any of my old files while in Ubuntu, and really don't know where I should even be looking.
    You won't see them on your desktop if that's what you mean. For clarification that shirteesdotnet gave, here's what you do:

1. Go to the "Places" icon. By default, this is at the top left of your screen, by "Applications".
    2. Click "Computer". This will bring up a screen with several different volumes on it, such as HP_Recovery, or Filesystem. You want to look for a number, followed by "Media" (on mine, for example, it says 131.6 GB MEDIA). This should be what you're looking for.

Question, do you boot into windows first, then pull up ubuntu in windows, or do you go straight into ubuntu from the load choice screen when you turn on your computer?
    Someone who is more familiar with the new setup may be able to help you better.