Thread: RAID5, 6 disks, dualcore 2.4ghz

Beans

Question RAID5, 6 disks, dualcore 2.4ghz

I'm looking to software raid5 using the following:

ubuntu server 8.04
    athlon 64 3800+x2
    DFI SLI-DR motherboard
    1x 250gb for /
    6x 250gb for /media/data (IDE for the moment, will swap these for 1tb sataii drives eventually)

What kind of write speeds can I expect using this setup (system will be almost completely dormant for cpu/ram use). Really, I just want it to be over the standard 100mbit throughput for write, read of course will be massive. This is for home experimentation, as well as real-world use for my home network.

I will be using this page as a guide to getting it setup, but the part with gparted is a problem -- this box is headless and has no gui installed. Is there a method to flag a partition as a raid-partition? Also, how does mdadm tell me I have a failed drive?

Edit- Do I need to enable CONFIG_MD_RAID5_RESHAPE=y in the kernel before I can grow the raid? Or is that enabled in the latest kernel builds?
    Last edited by Der_Idiot; May 25th, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

Beans

Re: RAID5, 6 disks, dualcore 2.4ghz

Looks like after looking at my kernel configuration, the raid5 growth command is already set to yes.

Beans

... no response? Come on guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think your DFI motherboard uses PCI-E to drive the SATA controller for your drives. The sequential read speed of a 6-drive raid5 array will be about five times what one drive would be. If your drives are late model ones with a thourhgput of about 50MB/sec then you will see 250MB/sec, that's bytes/second. If first generation perpendicular ones then it'll be 350MB/sec. The write speed will be just a little less.

The motherboard PCI-E is likely X1 and that taps out at 500MB/sec. If you are using 2nd generation perpandicular drives then you will over run the bus, as each of these drives is good for 100MB/sec throughput.

Uses parted to create your partitions in your server, headless. If you use mdadm you might not even need to have the drives set for "raid". I didn't once or twice and all worked out just fine.

Good luck!
    Last edited by fjgaude; May 28th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.