View Poll Results: Have you received this error message before?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

1 20.00%
  • No.

4 80.00%

Thread: The greater application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use another one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation The greater application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use another one.

Recently, I've been letting my laptop idle itself to sleep, to let KTorrent seed more. Trying to start it back up the next morning, I get a black screen with some USB errors -- with small resolution, as if it's some DOS prompt thing -- and the computer turns off. I press the power button again and it starts up, but I receive an error message a millimeter in height (and barely legible.) Copied from another thread, it appears to be:
    The greater application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use another one.
    That thread was for 6.06, and I'm using 7.10. I tried his recommended solution, but received the following error messages:
    daniel@daniel-laptop:~$ wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb
    --07:47:55-- http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb
    => `libgtk2.0-0_2.8.13-1ubuntu1_i386.deb'
    Resolving archive.ubuntu.com... 91.189.88.46, 91.189.88.31, 91.189.88.45
    Connecting to archive.ubuntu.com|91.189.88.46|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    07:47:55 ERROR 404: Not Found.

daniel@daniel-laptop:~$ dpkg -i libgtk2.0-0_2.8.13-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
    The second command was basically to see if anything would happen; it seemed clear that the file wasn't found. I held down the power button until it forcefully shut itself off -- what does that do? -- and it started (third time now) without a problem.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: The greater application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use another one.

Firstly, on the dpkg -i command you issued, you forgot to tack on sudo to execute the command as root. Package installations require root privileges. Secondly, since libgtk2.0-0 is in the repositories, you can type in sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0 in the terminal.

Also, why are you letting your computer go to sleep if you want KTorrent to seed?
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Beans
    Distro

Re: The greater application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use another one.

Quote Originally Posted by dasunst3r View Post
    Firstly, on the dpkg -i command you issued, you forgot to tack on sudo to execute the command as root.
    I saw its response, that I lacked superuser privileges, so I understand that much (now.) As I said, I only decided to go ahead and press enter (the command was copy/pasted) because it said it didn't find the file, and I was wondering if anything would happen anyway.
    Secondly, since libgtk2.0-0 is in the repositories, you can type in sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0 in the terminal.
    Ah! Thanks!
    Also, why are you letting your computer go to sleep if you want KTorrent to seed?
    Because my computer's typically on roughly ten hours each day, and I don't want to waste energy. ... Problem:
    daniel@daniel-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0
    [sudo] password for daniel:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    libgtk2.0-0 is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    xchat-gnome-common planetpenguin-racer-data libsmpeg0
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    I already have the latest version!
    daniel@daniel-laptop:~$ apt-get autoremove
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    daniel@daniel-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    xchat-gnome-common planetpenguin-racer-data libsmpeg0
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libsmpeg0 planetpenguin-racer-data xchat-gnome-common
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives.
    After unpacking 12.7MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 117786 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing libsmpeg0 ...
    Removing planetpenguin-racer-data ...
    Removing xchat-gnome-common ...
    So ... I guess something else is now causing the same error message...
    Last edited by newagelink; May 25th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala
    Just checking: Are you using Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu; thus the prefix to the thread title that ubuntuforums requires.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This seems to most closely resemble the issue you have been facing. Try that solution and tell us what happens.
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Beans

Red face Thank you.

Now I know.Thanks you very much.---------------------------------------------------------------->We are the creators of beautiful handmade copper sinks.

Beans
    Distro

This seems to most closely resemble the issue you have been facing. Try that solution and tell us what happens.
    Was there supposed to be a hyperlink in your post somewhere?