Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] help! after 5 hours troubleshooting dual boot install, still can't load eith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: help! after 5 hours troubleshooting dual boot install, still can't load either O/

I just noticed that Windows & Ubuntu are on the same hard drive, therefore you don't need the map lines e.g.:
    Code:
    title Windows XP
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Beans

Re: help! after 5 hours troubleshooting dual boot install, still can't load either O/

okay i followed your instructions confused and everything works. thank you so much confused and everyone who helped me in this thread. time to start figuring out how this new o/s works!

cheers

Beans

Post Re: help! after 5 hours troubleshooting dual boot install, still can't load either O/

Quote Originally Posted by confused57 View Post
    I just noticed that Windows & Ubuntu are on the same hard drive, therefore you don't need the map lines e.g.:
    Code:
    title Windows XP
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    Hi Confused,

With those people with so many drives or with bad detected drives I have written a kind of howto on the hard disk boot order.

Please feel free to use it in your answers.

And if you want to improve it by adding an actual example (about ubuntu not generating a valid menu.lst) you are also welcomed to do so.

adrian15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by adrian15 View Post
    Hi Confused,

With those people with so many drives or with bad detected drives I have written a kind of howto on the hard disk boot order.

Please feel free to use it in your answers.

And if you want to improve it by adding an actual example (about ubuntu not generating a valid menu.lst) you are also welcomed to do so.

adrian15
    Thanks Adrian,
    Your howto looks very helpful, I have bookmarked the link and I know it will definitely help users with multiple hard drives. I have one pc with 3 hard drives & have had 2 different distros(Mepis & Sabayon) incorrectly assign the grub boot order compared to bios boot order. I was able to modify the grub menu of the 2 distros, but Super Grub Disk would have made it easier.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123