Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which external hard drive to buy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: which external hard drive to buy?

Wow. Sounds cool.

But in step 2, the device was not listed. I used System Monitor > File Systems.

And step 3 I don't understand: I don't know how to create a mount point in the folder mnt -- I have the folder, but it's empty.

I do see the fstab file in my /etc folder, but I'll hold off on that until I can resolve the previous steps.
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Try this it might work
    Create a folder in /mnt/ or /media/ and name the folder “pockey”
    then put this in the terminal
    sudo mount –t vfat /dev/sda1 /pockey
    Last edited by nebben11; May 26th, 2008 at 04:14 AM.
    My Web site Linux User #472737 Ubuntu User #22496

Beans
    Distro

2 nebben11: I'd like to try that out, but I'm having problems: Apparently I don't have permission to create a folder in those folders. I tried logging in as administrator, but still no go.

I tried going into terminal and typing "sudo su" in order to get root privileges in order to obtain the needed file/folder permissions. This has worked before on a previous install. But still no go: I am not recognized as root, who is the owner of those system folders.

Perhaps the only option in this case is to log in as root, but I've forgotten how I did that before and I don't have any notes on that.

Help?
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Beans
    Distro

To nebben11: Sudo wasn't working for this purpose, so I figured out again how to log in as root. I created the folder in /mnt, entered the command as you suggested, then made the folder in both /mnt and /media, and tried again. Both times I got the following message:

mount: mount point /pockey does not exist

Then I went back to those Pockey manual instructions, and also tried making the recommended change to the fstab file. I tried the same command again to mount the Pockey, but got the same error message.

But I did manage to find the Pockey listed among my devices -- perhaps because this time I plugged it into the other USB port.

What I see is: 82801CA/CAM USB Controller > UHCI Host Controller > POCKEY FLOTEC

But I still can't see the Pockey showing up anywhere else, nor find any way to access its files. I just rebooted, and tried again entering the command to mount the device. Still no go.

What do you think, shall I throw in the towel? For now I think I'll see if I can contact the company, and if no results from that I'll give up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12