Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get NVIDIA 5200 to behave on Mythbuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: Can't get NVIDIA 5200 to behave on Mythbuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by briandu View Post
    Follow this exactly and your screen probs should be resolved.
    I have tried NVIDIA's own installers, without success. But they just released a new version today (173.14.05), so what the heck. (I'm also not sure that I've tried it on a clean system, which I will do this time.)

For the record, I was desperate enough that I actually downloaded and installed MythDora... same kind of problems with the display (not sure what version of the proprietary drivers that installs).

Beans
    Hidden!

seems strange, I have just upgrade right now and follow as per note and no probs whatsoever. I cannot imagine that Mythbuntu can/will vary from the standard. NB it is up to nvidia not Ubuntu - that is why I find it strange.

I'm gonna dig into this.
    You do what? Are you crazy!

Beans

NB it is up to nvidia not Ubuntu - that is why I find it strange.
    Yeah, at this point, it seems pretty clear to me that either a) the hardware is bad (in some weird way that doesn't show up in generic graphics mode or under Windows), or b) something weird is up with NVIDIA's drivers. I don't know whether they're broken, they don't like this particular card, or something very hinky is going on in the setup. But I'm not enough of an expert to really know what the useful information I could provide might be to narrow that down.

I'll reinstall Mythbuntu, try the new installer on the clean system, and see how it goes.

There's some useful advice on their NVnews.net forum that has some details I don't think I've tried before.

Beans
    Hidden!

What I did now is to go through routine as describe in the link again. And no prob at all - so it is strange.

Wish you luck on this one.

Cheers.
    You do what? Are you crazy!

Beans

What I did now is to go through routine as describe in the link again. And no prob at all - so it is strange.
    Still no joy for me. In fact, kernel panics after some period of weirdness.

But let me ask this: are you downloading the kernel module from NVIDIA (like it offers to do), or building it locally (which it will do if you say no to that)? The instructions in that post aren't explicit on that point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12