Thread: Dead Man's Switch

Beans

Dead Man's Switch

I am running Ubuntu Desktop 8.04, and I have been looking for days for some sort of "dead man's switch" software for Ubuntu. I have noticed that there are similar programs for Windows. Basically I am trying to protect personal data. I would like to have a script run on, say, the 3rd invalid password that will erase an encrypted disk, or change the password and send it to an email, etc....

Does anyone know of any scripts or programs for Ubuntu that can do this for me?

PLEASE HELP!!!

BC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dead Man's Switch

It might be possible with some PAM configuration, but I am not that knowledgeable on that subject, so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else know's more about it.

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Thank you Dr. Small. This does not look like the right solution for me. Does anyone have any more suggestions???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would also look at swatch. It can monitor log files and execute scripts based on patterns found in them.

Beans

Thank you so much! I think this is gonna do it, just need to figure out how to configure it now. Thanks again.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcamp929 View Post
    Thank you so much! I think this is gonna do it, just need to figure out how to configure it now. Thanks again.
    In cased swatch doesn't fit your needs there is sec (Simple Event Correlator) to bear in mind.
    Brian.