Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On shutdown/restart.....it shows black screen and text.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: On shutdown/restart.....it shows black screen and text.

yeah that makes sense, but why am I not getting the splash screen for the full time after that? After all the text scrolls by, it cuts off without warning... I'm a bit new to ubuntu so I don't know all about changing the order daemons and stuff.
    Last edited by mudrain911; July 31st, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Beans

Re: On shutdown/restart.....it shows black screen and text.

To be honest I am not sure. I know there is a start up-manager under system>administration. That could be the place to chose what starts up when.
    In Linux you will find there are configuration files for just about everything. I think part of the trick to controlling any distro's performance is by learning the config files and how to alter them to suit your needs. I am in the process of learning that myself. I would hate to give you advice that will hose your system, as I have done that myself a few times.

The config files are in text format,,you basically find the one you need and open it in a text editor like vi, emacs or even gedit. You then alter the info there to meet your needs, save it and restart your desktop or computer. So the order is:

1 Find the config file you need
    2 back it up so you have 2 copies of it
    3 open the old copy in a text editor
    4 change the file how you need
    5 save and exit
    6 restart the desktop or computer

If you hosed it copy the backup back to the config file and start over.

I really recommend getting a couple of good unix tutorials under your belt so you can learn how to backup, copy, create, and read files in unix/linux. I liked this one:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

There are GUI windows type things that can help you mess with the system,, but if you crash your desktop you will be working from the command line anyways, so its a good thing to know how to do.

The thing to think of with Linux and in Unix is that the kernel is stable,,thought the desktops and front end programs may not be. The real power IMHO is in the command line, pain in the azd to learn coming from windows/mac, but it gets addictive and lets you really feel like you are controlling your computer.

If this gets any worse,, post it again in several sections and one of the more advanced users will help. This forum is great, but I have noticed people get tied up pretty easy. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12