Thread: vgetty doesn't pick up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

vgetty doesn't pick up

Hello forum!
    I have an ubuntu 7.1 i386 server with all kinds of stuff on it. It runs hylafax on an external serial voice/data/fax modem (ttyS3) - the "Trendnet TFM-560X" to be precise. I don't know why the only serial port on the board was assigned as COM4, but anyways - who cares.

I lately decided to add voicemail to that box, got myself a PCI-serial-card (since I was out of COM ports), another modem (same one: TFM-560X) put it together. Turns out the new modem is on ttys0. Then I installed mgetty, mgetty-voice, mgetty-pvftools, configured the voice.conf and added the file "ttyS0" to /etc/event.d (exec /sbin/vgetty ttyS0). A greeting is present.

When both modems are idle, the voicemail modem has CS- and MR-LEDs on, the fax modem however has CS- RS- TR- and MR-LEDs on - so the voice-modem is off I believe. I can test it with minicom and it returns "ok" on AT command - then the RS- and TR-LED's come on as well as on the fax modem.

btw, there are no vgetty logs in /var/log

I googled around, but couldn't find any answers. Any suggestion would be awesome.
    Wer dämlich mit H schreibt ist nämlich!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: vgetty doesn't pick up

Update:
    I checked my logs and found this:
    Code:
    05/24 23:05:38  vgetty: experimental test release 0.9.32 / with duplex patch
    05/24 23:05:38  reading program vm configuration from config file /etc/mgetty/voice.conf
    05/24 23:05:38  opening voice modem device
    05/24 23:05:38  opened voice modem device /dev/ttyS0
    05/24 23:05:38  reading port ttyS0 configuration from config file /etc/mgetty/voice.conf
    05/24 23:05:38  detecting voice modem type
    05/24 23:05:40  vm: Modem returned ERROR
    05/24 23:05:41  no voice modem detected
    Does my modem have problems returning the modem type or what does it mean?
    Wer dämlich mit H schreibt ist nämlich!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: vgetty doesn't pick up

I don't know how far this will help since I don't have such a modem and know very little about vgetty, but I just ran across a post through google that showed someone with the same modem trying to setup an answering machine and he couldn't get it working until someone suggested setting "forceV253 TRUE" in his voice.conf file (on my present system that is located in /etc/mgetty+sendfax

Here is the thread:

http://www.meinews.net/vgetty-t126735.html?
    Quote Originally Posted by elvinatom View Post
    Hello forum!
    I have an ubuntu 7.1 i386 server with all kinds of stuff on it. It runs hylafax on an external serial voice/data/fax modem (ttyS3) - the "Trendnet TFM-560X" to be precise. I don't know why the only serial port on the board was assigned as COM4, but anyways - who cares.

I lately decided to add voicemail to that box, got myself a PCI-serial-card (since I was out of COM ports), another modem (same one: TFM-560X) put it together. Turns out the new modem is on ttys0. Then I installed mgetty, mgetty-voice, mgetty-pvftools, configured the voice.conf and added the file "ttyS0" to /etc/event.d (exec /sbin/vgetty ttyS0). A greeting is present.

When both modems are idle, the voicemail modem has CS- and MR-LEDs on, the fax modem however has CS- RS- TR- and MR-LEDs on - so the voice-modem is off I believe. I can test it with minicom and it returns "ok" on AT command - then the RS- and TR-LED's come on as well as on the fax modem.

btw, there are no vgetty logs in /var/log

I googled around, but couldn't find any answers. Any suggestion would be awesome.
    Last edited by oneir; August 8th, 2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: to add link