View Poll Results: Python or Ruby?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Python

41 73.21%
  • Ruby

15 26.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting programming: Ruby or Python?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Starting programming: Ruby or Python?

OK, thanks people (especially pmasiar), you helped my very much in my decision, so I'll start with Python

Beans

Technically though, both are apples, so you can eat whichever you like. Who would know if you like green apples or red ones? Only you can, after eating one of each, seeing the differences.

Hope I awakened the philosopher in you
    Taking philosophy one step further, from a utilitarian perspective one needs to consider the end result. Regardless of whether you eat a green or a red apple, it ends up looking all the same down the toilet, so it doesn't really matter which one you use.

So if the result is **** regardless, it doesn't matter and you should probably look elsewhere than apples. But as I actually like both Python and Ruby, I will not argue down this path

(And personally I would suggest Python)

EDIT: Considering you were willing to check out a functional language, I would seriously suggest you consider Clojure. It's a Lisp that runs on JVM, and I am growing quite fond of it... functional programming is not that difficult, it just requires a slightly different POV... and once you get it, it becomes very elegant indeed.
    Last edited by CptPicard; May 25th, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would say python but I havent used Ruby. But from what I have heard they are both really good so give them both a try and see which one you like the most.

Beans

I think you should choose python...
    Reason:
    1. Shuttleworth programs in it
    2. The one who started Ubuntu likes it
    3. It comes with "batteries" included(all the libraries)
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Reason:
    lol @ same person 1 and 2

Beans

I've never actually used Ruby, but I first learned programming on Python and I love it. Since then I've also learned C++ and Fortran but Python remains my favorite language by far (but perhaps scripting languages are inherently more fun...).

So I don't know about Ruby, but I love Python and couldn't ask for anything more. I feel like I can do anything with it, and do it easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Reason:
    All three of those (and 1 and 2 are really the same) are not very good reasons to choose a programming language.

Why would you choose a language just because some famous person likes it? And most serious programming languages come with an extensive library.

I like Ruby better than Python, because Ruby seems to be more clean and consistent to me than Python. But if I'd want to make a desktop application for Ubuntu, I'd choose Python, because many programs for Ubuntu are written in Python and because Python is installed by default on Ubuntu systems - if a program were written in Ruby, it would require the user to install Ruby on his/her system.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    Why would you choose a language just because some famous person likes it? And most serious programming languages come with an extensive library.
    It is not "famous person", some Britney Spears or Indiana Jones. Mark is experienced programmer with proven track record of accomplishments, debian developer, he knows how to make systems work (and make money on the way there). His endorsement values in my eyes invaluably more than endorsement from some random forum poster I know nothing about (sorry no offense but that's the fact). He knows what features are important, what works in real life. Only fool would value random anonymous forum poster endorsement as high as Mark's endorsement.

Also, even if serious languages have extensive libraries, Python's library is apparently more extensive than Ruby's, so that **IS** very valid argument when comparing those two languages against each other. Or do you argue that Ruby is NOT a serious language so does not need the library?
    Last edited by pmasiar; June 3rd, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just go with whatever one you think you'll feel more comfortable with. Later on, any concepts you've learned can easily be transferred to another language if the need arises.

Beans

I'd suggest if you were moving over to c/c++ to go with Python.
    It's structure is closer to what you'd find there and it's use of files is closer.
    Rails assumes a lot for you and hides more than I'm comfortable with..

I liked the reasons for picking it that others stated.
    And I too would take the advice of a famous person. If I wanted to learn how to make millions of $ singing, would I ask Britney.. You bet I would. If I wanted to make awesome software, would I talk to Linus or Joel.. In a heartbeat. Follow what those you admire are doing.. Step in their footsteps.

On a side.. go with c/c++.. Remember that the language you write code in will be the language you learn to think in. Google "how to learn c++ in ten short years". Ten years is a long time.. Start today
    Last edited by baash05; March 7th, 2012 at 06:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12