Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTP/SFTP stalls when transmitting files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: FTP/SFTP stalls when transmitting files

Hello, I have recently posted about a similar issue, which did not go away with mtu changes. scp and rsync stall when transferring from Ubuntu hardy heron 8.04
    Vermind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Red face Re: FTP/SFTP stalls when transmitting files

amazing... sftp, scp, ftp, nothing was working right until i've changed that MTU setting from 1500 to 1490! now i wonder why, and what else it could affect, since i'm having seceral network issues.

Beans

I am seeing this problem too recently. My networking is onboard RealTek driver r8169. I have been reading bad things about this version and I am considering downgrading to 8168.

I'd love to find out how many of the people who have reported this issue on this thread have the same hardware as I.

Thanks.
    -Raj

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

in my case it's surely not the driver. it has something to do with the routing and that MTU setting, losing packaged somehow because of it. I've changed the router and no more need on the MTU.

i know it's a network issue because it's the exact same symptom in every computer (more than 5) on the same network, in every operational system (between windows and linux).

so, it's all about bad standards and a lot of miss information once again.
    Last edited by caue.rego; June 17th, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: adding info

Beans

So, update from me is that I downgraded the driver version and my networking problems went away.

Anyone else with RealTek hardware, if you are on r8169, consider reverting to 8168!

-Raj

Beans

Smile Re: FTP/SFTP stalls when transmitting files

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTeddy View Post
    i have a (somewhat) similar problem (i think) - can you please try to drop your mtu to 1490 bytes instead of the normal 1500 on the sending machine and see if the transfers still stalls ?

make sure you drop the mtu on the source machine - NOT the router. You can drop the mtu on an ubuntu machine with this command:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig %device mtu 1490
    where %device is eth0, wlan0 ath0 or something like that (depending on your device)

let's see if you get the same results as me...
    Thanks changing the mtu to 1490
    fixes stall problem in ftp and http.
    In both ubuntu 8.04 and ubuntu 9.04.
    upload speed also improves.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTeddy View Post
    i have a (somewhat) similar problem (i think) - can you please try to drop your mtu to 1490 bytes instead of the normal 1500 on the sending machine and see if the transfers still stalls ?

make sure you drop the mtu on the source machine - NOT the router. You can drop the mtu on an ubuntu machine with this command:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig %device mtu 1490
    where %device is eth0, wlan0 ath0 or something like that (depending on your device)

let's see if you get the same results as me...
    Thank you so much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12