View Poll Results: Are you going to Get in on the Class Action Suit?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • I'm Going to Exclude Myself

1 14.29%
  • I never used PeoplePC

6 85.71%

Thread: If you used PeoplePC (class action suit) in the past or use it now (discuss)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If you used PeoplePC (class action suit) in the past or use it now (discuss)

Domain keys on yahoo say pass on the email address:

You are receiving this notice because you are a former subscriber to PeoplePC. A proposed Class Action Settlement may affect you. A hearing has been scheduled in San Francisco Superior Court to approve the Settlement. Under the Settlement, you may have the right to make a claim for up to $30 in cash. You also may choose to exclude yourself from the Settlement. Alternatively, you may file a written objection to the Settlement and appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the Court hearing. If the Settlement is approved and you do not exclude yourself, you give up the right to sue for the claims the Settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the Settlement. To learn more about or exercise any of your rights, please read below and visit www.peoplepc-settlement.com .

In the suit, Plaintiff alleges that, in the sale and marketing of its dial-up internet service, PeoplePC takes unfair or unlawful steps to continue charging customers for PeoplePC service even when they request cancellation. PeoplePC has denied and continues to deny each and all of Plaintiff's claims. The Court has not made a decision on the merits. PeoplePC, while continuing to deny all allegations of wrongdoing and disclaiming any liability with respect to any and all claims, considers it desirable to resolve the litigation on the terms stated herein, in order to avoid further expense, inconvenience, and interference with its ongoing business operations, and to dispose of burdensome litigation, and therefore has determined that Settlement of this litigation on the terms set forth herein is in its best interest.

You are a member of the Settlement Class if, between February 6, 2002, and May 12, 2008, you paid PeoplePC for internet service following a cancellation request.

As part of the Settlement, PeoplePC will change its cancellation practices and policies.

In addition, if you submit a valid claim under penalty of perjury, you will be eligible to receive a cash refund of fees you paid to PeoplePC after attempting to cancel your service, of $3, $5, or up to $30. To receive the cash payment you must submit a claim at www.peoplepc-settlement.com. by the later of September 7, 2008, or 30 days after final approval.

If the Settlement is approved, Plaintiff's counsel will apply for an award of attorneys' fees, expenses and incentive awards not to exceed $377,500, to be paid separately from and in addition to the relief available to Settlement Class Members.

All claims of Settlement Class Members which were or could have been asserted in the litigation, based upon the facts alleged in the litigation, will be released. This means that if you do not exclude yourself from the Settlement Class, you will give up the right to sue for the claims that the Settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the Settlement.

You need not take any action. If you wish to exclude yourself from the Settlement Class, you must submit an exclusion request to the Claim Administrator at: Claim Administrator, c/o Rust Consulting, Inc., P.O. Box 507, Minneapolis, MN 55440-0507.

If you exclude yourself, you will not receive the benefits of the Settlement, and you will not be able to object to the Settlement.

If you wish to object to the Settlement or appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the hearing, you must file your objection with the Court and serve it on the parties' counsel, as follows: Adam Gutride, Esq., Gutride Safier LLP, P.O. Box 460026, San Francisco, CA 94146 (counsel for Plaintiff) and Nathan L. Garroway, Esq., McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, 303 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 5300, Atlanta, GA 30308 (counsel for PeoplePC). To exclude yourself, object, or request to intervene, you must follow the detailed instructions set forth in the Long Form Notice at www.peoplepc-settlement.com .

All objections, requests to intervene and requests for exclusion must be received (not just postmarked) by July 11, 2008 and must comply with the instructions in the Long Form Notice at www.peoplepc-settlement.com .

DO NOT CONTACT THE COURT OR PEOPLEPC CONCERNING THIS NOTICE OR THIS LAWSUIT. If you would like more information about this notice or this case, please visit www.peoplepc-settlement.com . If you do not have internet access, you may request additional information from the Claim Administrator or by mail from counsel for Plaintiff, at the address set forth above.
    Do you think I should claim? or am I out of luck? I tried it once on the trial and they didn't overcharge me once I cancelled & or keep charging me anything on my CreditCard. So have any of you if used PeoplePC ever had trouble with them?
    Last edited by nowshining; May 24th, 2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: change code tags to quote tags + removing copy+paste sugges...
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: If you used PeoplePC (class action suit) in the past or use it now (discuss)

Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post
    Domain keys on yahoo say pass on the email address:
    (I suggest a copy+paste into a txt editor, etc.. for easier reading)

You are receiving this notice because you are a former subscriber to PeoplePC. A proposed Class Action Settlement may affect you. A hearing has been scheduled in San Francisco Superior Court to approve the Settlement. Under the Settlement, you may have the right to make a claim for up to $30 in cash. You also may choose to exclude yourself from the Settlement. Alternatively, you may file a written objection to the Settlement and appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the Court hearing. If the Settlement is approved and you do not exclude yourself, you give up the right to sue for the claims the Settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the Settlement. To learn more about or exercise any of your rights, please read below and visit www.peoplepc-settlement.com .

In the suit, Plaintiff alleges that, in the sale and marketing of its dial-up internet service, PeoplePC takes unfair or unlawful steps to continue charging customers for PeoplePC service even when they request cancellation. PeoplePC has denied and continues to deny each and all of Plaintiff's claims. The Court has not made a decision on the merits. PeoplePC, while continuing to deny all allegations of wrongdoing and disclaiming any liability with respect to any and all claims, considers it desirable to resolve the litigation on the terms stated herein, in order to avoid further expense, inconvenience, and interference with its ongoing business operations, and to dispose of burdensome litigation, and therefore has determined that Settlement of this litigation on the terms set forth herein is in its best interest.

You are a member of the Settlement Class if, between February 6, 2002, and May 12, 2008, you paid PeoplePC for internet service following a cancellation request.

As part of the Settlement, PeoplePC will change its cancellation practices and policies.

In addition, if you submit a valid claim under penalty of perjury, you will be eligible to receive a cash refund of fees you paid to PeoplePC after attempting to cancel your service, of $3, $5, or up to $30. To receive the cash payment you must submit a claim at www.peoplepc-settlement.com. by the later of September 7, 2008, or 30 days after final approval.

If the Settlement is approved, Plaintiff's counsel will apply for an award of attorneys' fees, expenses and incentive awards not to exceed $377,500, to be paid separately from and in addition to the relief available to Settlement Class Members.

All claims of Settlement Class Members which were or could have been asserted in the litigation, based upon the facts alleged in the litigation, will be released. This means that if you do not exclude yourself from the Settlement Class, you will give up the right to sue for the claims that the Settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the Settlement.

You need not take any action. If you wish to exclude yourself from the Settlement Class, you must submit an exclusion request to the Claim Administrator at: Claim Administrator, c/o Rust Consulting, Inc., P.O. Box 507, Minneapolis, MN 55440-0507.

If you exclude yourself, you will not receive the benefits of the Settlement, and you will not be able to object to the Settlement.

If you wish to object to the Settlement or appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the hearing, you must file your objection with the Court and serve it on the parties' counsel, as follows: Adam Gutride, Esq., Gutride Safier LLP, P.O. Box 460026, San Francisco, CA 94146 (counsel for Plaintiff) and Nathan L. Garroway, Esq., McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, 303 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 5300, Atlanta, GA 30308 (counsel for PeoplePC). To exclude yourself, object, or request to intervene, you must follow the detailed instructions set forth in the Long Form Notice at www.peoplepc-settlement.com .

All objections, requests to intervene and requests for exclusion must be received (not just postmarked) by July 11, 2008 and must comply with the instructions in the Long Form Notice at www.peoplepc-settlement.com .

DO NOT CONTACT THE COURT OR PEOPLEPC CONCERNING THIS NOTICE OR THIS LAWSUIT. If you would like more information about this notice or this case, please visit www.peoplepc-settlement.com . If you do not have internet access, you may request additional information from the Claim Administrator or by mail from counsel for Plaintiff, at the address set forth above.
    Do you think I should claim? or am I out of luck? I tried it once on the trial and they didn't overcharge me once I cancelled & or keep charging me anything on my CreditCard. So have any of you if used PeoplePC ever had trouble with them?
    you could've used quote instead of code...

Beans
    Distro

Re: If you used PeoplePC (class action suit) in the past or use it now (discuss)

lol I could of couldn't I. that just didn't come into my mind - i'll edit the post
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I can remember trying to cancel PeoplePC when I got a cable modem:

Me: "I want to cancel my dial-up service. I got cable-modem broadband service installed today."

PPC: "Great. We have special plans for people who can't afford $14.95 per month. We'll put you on that."

Me: "No, you misunderstood me. I want to completely cancel my entire service. I no longer need dialup, as my cable service was installed today. Please cancel my service and my account."

PPC: "No problem. We'll just put you down for the special $6.95 per month plan. Can I do anything else for you?"

Me: "Yes. You can CANCEL MY ENTIRE EXPLETIVE ACCOUNT! I DON"T EXPLETIVE NEED IT! I HAVE EXPLETIVE BROADBAND! EITHER YOU CANCEL MY ENTIRE ACCOUNT, OR I"LL REPORT YOU TO MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY!"

PPC: "I am authorized to offer you a special plan for as little only $3.95 per month."

Me: "Give me your name, then connect me to your Supervisor. I wish to get from him the name of your Corporate Attorney so that I know whom to send the paperwork to. My family is pretty much the entire law-enforcement and prosecutor in this neck of the woods."

PPC: "No problem sir. Just give me a minute to cancel your account..."

Beans
    Distro

hehe.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist

Beans
    Hidden!

My Dad decided to sign up with them for a while. They use some kind of annoying POS dialer for their dial-up service. It was slow, unreliable, and when he finally cancelled service with them, it took me 2 hours to track down all the components to uninstall the little ... well, the little pain in the neck. It didn't have a simple uninstall ... the thing was embedded in the registry & OS like a troja or virus. After snooping on the net, it turns out their dialer acts like spyware, tracking user activity so PeoplePC can sell the info to marketing companies.

I'm really getting tired of businesses taking advantage of customers these days. What, it's not enough that someone wants to do business with you? You have to go the extra step and take advantage of them? Seriously, is this what they're teaching these MBA grads to do these days?
    Folding@Home & TeamUbuntu ... the lazy person's charity! Your comp does the work while you get the warm, fuzzy, hello-kitty feeling of helping humanity. That, and we get to trounce other teams in the folding competition! Join today!