Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

Zetheroo:

It means your heads haven't parked. If you would like them to park then try a lesser value. Start at 128 and work your way up to a value that suits your needs.

Sealbhach:

I'm not sure about a list of drives affected. I get the same thing about my drive not being in the database (Western Digital). The easiest way to tell is to monitor the Load_Cycle_Count value from smartmontools. If you are averaging 59/hour under decent usage, then you probably don't need to worry too much. As your drive begins to age, you may want to apply some sort of constraint, but if the drive is relatively new, you don't have a whole lot to worry about in my opinion.

But it's totally up to you. The most important thing here is to find a balance that suits your needs.
    Registered Ubuntu User #20847

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I set hdparm to 254 and it stopped the cycles, but after a while my HD temp got up to 55C from ~35C so I turned it off. Is there any way to keep the temperature down as well as stop the rapid cycling?
    Acer Aspire 5520 laptop, AMD Athlon x2 64-bit, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 7000m, Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@ZapalacX, try other values than 254, maybe 220 or less, make some test and try to find the best compromise between reducing head parking and temperature.
    Now if you have a standard drive and get 55C after an hour or two of use then i would say this is normal. As told before in this thread common maximum drive temperature is 60C (seagate drives taken as reference), my drive idle temperature is around 47-48C but i can make it go to 55C or more easily just if i put my laptop on my knees an thus reduce the fan air input.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    Zetheroo:

It means your heads haven't parked. If you would like them to park then try a lesser value. Start at 128 and work your way up to a value that suits your needs.
    OK... I ma trying that out as I am writing this...

Just wondering.... what is a healthy amount of cycles within a time frame of 15 min?
    Some say 2-4 loads cycles in 15 min is too much.... is this true?

Also isn't the head only supposed to park when a jolt or a jerky movement is felt?
    Nothing beats the durability and quality of the Thinkpad put together with the brilliance and stability of Ubuntu Linux!

Thinkpad T30, T40, T41p, T42, T43, T60, T61, R50, R61, Z61M, X31 ... all love Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm using a laptop cooler (Zalman ZM-NC2000) while using my laptop on AC. If you are worried about the temperature of your disk you might want to consider buying a laptop cooler. For my experiences with the Zalman ZM-NC2000 read :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818040
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...03&postcount=4

I also updated the following post about why I am recommending 128 and 254 (to try first if you are heavily affected) :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...55#post5038155

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Zetheroo View Post
    OK... I ma trying that out as I am writing this...

Just wondering.... what is a healthy amount of cycles within a time frame of 15 min?
    Some say 2-4 loads cycles in 15 min is too much.... is this true?
    That's probably not too much. But you should probably look at a bigger timeframe to be sure (days or weeks for example).

Look at the specification of your harddrive and your current Load_Cycle_Count (if your Load_Cycle_Count seems to behave as a normal counter) and compare these two values. Keep watching your Load_Cycle_Count and if you feel (calculate) your Load_Cycle_Count is approaching the specifications of your drive too fast you might want to take action (if you understand what you are doing).

For example :
    If the specifications for your drive say 600.000 for Load_Cycle_Count and you are running Ubuntu for a month (with the default apm value for the drive) with a Load_Cycle_Count of 10.000 then you are probably save for at least 60 months. But you should keep watching your Load_Cycle_Count and see how it develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetheroo View Post
    Also isn't the head only supposed to park when a jolt or a jerky movement is felt?
    Sadly this isn't suppored in GNU/Linux yet. A little bit of explanation in this video :
    http://www.archive.org/details/LRL_U...nagement_Anger

Beans

OK... I have been trying different hdparm commands and what I have come up with is not at all consistent!

For example in one test using sudo hdparm -B 152 /dev/sda in the terminal I clocked an average of 4 cycles every 15 minutes. But then another time with the exact same hdparm -B value of 152 I clocked an average of 45 cycles per 15 minutes.

Why the inconsistency?

Here is my drive info:

Code:
    Model Family:     Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 series
    Device Model:     HTS541010G9SA00
    Serial Number:    MP2ZXAXLH306US
    Firmware Version: MBZIC60R
    User Capacity:    100,030,242,816 bytes
    Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is:   7
    ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D revision 1
    Local Time is:    Fri Jun  6 15:55:05 2008 SAST
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

Here are the other tests I have done:

Code:
    hdparm -B 130 /dev/sda

1 min -- 7 cycles
    (10 min -- 70 cycles)

hdparm -B 140 /dev/sda

10 min -- 10 cycles

hdparm -B 150 /dev/sda

10 min -- 19 cycles

hdparm -B 180 /dev/sda

12 min -- 28 cycles

hdparm -B 190 /dev/sda

10 min -- 28 cycles

hdparm -B 150 /dev/sda

10 min -- 14 cycles

hdparm -B 155 /dev/sda

10 min -- 26 cycles

hdparm -B 151 /dev/sda

100 min -- 61 cycles

10 min -- 6 cycles

hdparm -B 152 /dev/sda

16 min -- 4 cycles

100 min -- 326 cycles
    Nothing beats the durability and quality of the Thinkpad put together with the brilliance and stability of Ubuntu Linux!

Thinkpad T30, T40, T41p, T42, T43, T60, T61, R50, R61, Z61M, X31 ... all love Ubuntu!

Beans

ACER Aspire 3682NWXCi battery problem

Hi Everyone
    I am using ACER laptop Aspire 3682NWXCi
    My laptop is not charging as soon as power goes it gives message of critical battery it shows battery charged 9% but on system tray it shows on AC power and also while charging it does not show orange light for charging it shows yellow to indicate on fully charged

May i know the solution for this
    I had tried my battery on other same laptop it is working and other battery is also not working on my laptop
    i had restarted my laptop and placed again battery

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ACER Aspire 3682NWXCi battery problem

applied the GG fix and everything seems stable now. (im on AC)
    I used a value of 228 for battery. what does it mean? is that OK?
    I dont use mi laptop as much in battery, and when I use it that way I am usually lying in bed or something quiet like that.

what should I do if the HDD temp goes up?
    Im clueless on that one.

Thanks y'all for your help on this issue.
    Last edited by sergiom99; June 8th, 2008 at 12:12 AM.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans

I have an additional problem, Samsung drive if that helps.

When giving a value of 254 to hdparm the clicking goes away but is replaced by a less frequent but much louder (and rather unhealthy sounding) clonk.

When the value is not 254 the Load_Cycle_Count is increased by one for every tick. When the value is 254 the Calibration_Retry_Count is increased by one for every clonk but the Load_Cycle_Count is constant. Non 254 values makes the Calibration_Retry_Count constant.

Have tried enabling SMART Automatic Offline Testing too (as suggested somewhere for Samsung drives) but no change.

Had a clicking problem in Vista aswell but all my fiddling around with hdparm and such in Ubuntu fixed it, no clonks no nothing.

So... whats a Calibration_Retry_Count and is it harmful?

What to choose? Clicks or clonks?

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast